Not Over Yet, Not Even Close

Reader's POV

Marie-sensei frantically took Stein to Tsubaki who was still lying on the ground, unconscious. Her meister was kneeling next to her, a dangerous look in his eyes. 

"Who did this?" he growled as Stein began treating her. "That man did," Marie-sensei said, pointing towards the man with the white mask lying on the ground in a pool of blood. He, too, had passed out. Somehow, he was still alive even after losing all that blood. Black Star walked towards his limp form, fists clenched tightly. 

"Wait, Black Star," I said. "Tsubaki got hurt defeating that man but she made sure to hit him in a place that would not kill him. She didn't want to kill him so please, don't. He's not even a kishin soul." Black Star stood above the man, a bloodlust filling his eyes. 

For a second, I was sure that he was going to kill the man and I was ready to stop him before he did something that would not make Tsubaki happy. Then, he just sighed and closed his eyes. "Fine. If that's what she wants," he said. His fists unclenched.

Pain shot through our ears as the sound of rock grating on rock screeched through the room. We all covered our ears. 

Entrances were sliding open on either sides of the room. Ankoku ripped free from her ropes. Looks like she had been sawing away at them with her claws the whole time. 

A searing, hot wind blew through the room. I shielded myself from it with my arms but it was no use. My flesh was starting to burn. I could hear my friends screaming. "Soul!" Maka cried as she lowered her weapon. The heat had begun to melt Soul. Kid put Liz and Patty down too despite their protests. "Kiddo-kun!" cried Patty. Marie-sensei covered both Stein and Tsubaki from the heat. She was a lot stronger than she looked, being able to hold down Shibusen's best meister like that.

"Where's Black Star?" yelled Liz. Suddenly, the heat stopped. Hot, melting red walls turned back to dull, gray walls. The pain disappeared as if it were never there. Maka looked down to find out that Soul was just fine. 

And as an answer to Liz's question, Black Star was right in front of us, his fist in Ankoku's gut. Blood dripped from her joker smile, making her look even more gruesome. "So you have the power to cast illusions, huh? Sorry, lady, but my sixth sense sucks," said the ninja, grinning at her.

"But it was enough to distract you," she said, her long black hair covering her eyes. A cloud of mist began filling the room. But when the white cloud touched my skin, it burned like acid (A/N:Hunger Games reference here). My friends must have realised the same because they were all backing away from the cloud. I didn't have time to turn and run before the cloud seemed to wrap itself around my body.

The pain was so bad that I could not even cry out for help. Black spots began swimming in my vision. The last thing I heard before I passed out was a voice calling me a name that I haven't heard in years.