The time has come

It hurt, alot. Jeff was ankle deep in mud making his way to the first motel past the forest.

He hadn't planned on swimming through the mud but the car was bogged by the rain and the other two boys were right behind him. Jeff didn't want to think about what was nibbling at his legs, so he was pretty lucky that the rain was too loud to think properly. Trinket made a loud grunting noise and pointed up, letting Jeff's eyes fall on the sign that told them that the hotel had 10 minutes left until closing.

He lifted his leg up from the mud and made a mad dash forwards, they had only had a small distance left to cover and he proudly burst through the doors soaking wet with muddy, shoeless feet. The lady dropped a basket of linen and let her jaw collapse. A moment later Trinket and Kevin burst in too, Kevin with a lovely stream of mud down his front, they were grinning at the lady and patting their pants.

"You wouldn't happen to have some rooms by any chance?" Jeff shook his foot gently outside the door and let the mud fly up and off. She creased her brows and looked them over quickly and grabbing her basket off.

"I'll get the hose and some clean clothes, your lucky I keep this place open later then closing for stragglers like you," the boys nodded in appreciation. Trinket laid a shivering arm over Jeff and grinned at him as broad as he could.

"You think it will be safe here? The miss seems ready to shoot us for this ungodly hour," the Miss in question walked in with a hose and sent it blasting into Trinkets face, making him stumble into the glass painfully.

"There I've shot you, happy now?" He laughed under his breath and cringed at the hot water that attacked his freezing skin. Kevin laughed gently too and she sent the water directly onto his stomach making him double over before straightening to clean his front. Jeff unlike the loons was ready and only winced at the heat that sliced his skin, instead seeking the relief rather then watching the pain.

"Well, you boys can shower better in the rooms, change into these and I'll clean your current lot," the boys raced forward to retrieve the basket and waited till she left before each slipping on a set and looking at one another. Trinket was the only one having troubles and Jeff laughed a little as the shirt couldn't fit over his naturally broader shoulders.

"It doesn't fit," Jeff snickered and tore the shirt from Trinkets torso, throwing it back into the clean basket. Trinket gave him an awkward look but just cuddled to Jeff's back for a little warmth instead.

"We will shower at the room so you may as well just be half ready right?" Jeff was pretty serious and refused to crack any types of dirty jokes. Jeff called for the miss again and she came out with a armful of linen and two keys.

"Two rooms enough?" He nodded and slid his ID and credit card across the table, she spied his name and softly gasped before pushing it back.

"You don't have to worry sir, my husband and boys will get your car out in the morning so please come this way," Jeff grabbed his things and followed her down a long hall to the last two rooms. She ushered Kevin into one and told him to wait for her so she could help him out, before directing Jeff and Trinket into the second.

"Why did you bring a blind boy on this journey, he looks only 17 if that," Miss glared at Jeff with a motherly frown and he squared his shoulders.

"That boy got a girl kidnapped, its his responsibility to help get her back,"

"But he isn't helping is he!?" Jeff didn't reply, how could he. Kevin wasn't helpful at all, but it was that boys fault that they were here now. A man had to take responsibility.

"I'll take him off your hands, you don't need his death do you? Knowing you it was probably partly your fault either way, I have seen what's happened to kids who have 'passed by you' and I have seen few survive," Trinket pulled Jeff back and pushed him gently into the room before turning to the miss with his deepest bow.