Chapter 28: First Day Part 2

"Okay, well, lets start off with the basics for our new student, Ms Jones!" Jeff shouted out, not loudly, but loud enough for everybody to hear. He clapped his hands and we all followed him to the weaponery room.

"Everybody get into a line and we'll get straight to it. We're starting off with the knives, then the guns, then finally the fighting skills. Ms Jones, why don't you go to the back so you can watch how it's done?" Jeff suggested, smiling kindly. I smiled back and nodded my head before strolling to the back of the line with my hands on my waist. Dylan and Ian followed and stood before me. We were in another white pod like the one I woke up in, but this pod had an extra wall inside it with a door and a window. Through the window was targets hanging everywhere, on the walls, on the ceilings and even hanging in the air.

The line began to move forward and one by one, boys walked towards the knife area and stood on a big X. The training set here was different to in the KAA and Browning High, yet I was wondering why it wasn't the room the boys and I had been shooting in.

The cheeky dark skinned boy from before walked up to the X, winked at me and began to throw the knives at the targets.

"Ignore him," Dylan said facing me.

"What's his name?" I asked curiously. I was watching him throw the knived perfectly at all of the targets and I suddenly began to feel nervous. What if I humiliated myself and didn't  hit any of the targets? What if I didn't throw hard enough?

"Oh, he's Chad. He's actually quite cool, his irritating winks put aside," Dylan said whilst chuckling.

Before I knew it the line was just down to Ian, Dylan and I. Ian went first and threw the knives at all of the targets that were hanging high in the air. He hit them all, but he never hit the bullseye, like most of the boys. Once Ian was finished, Dylan had his go with the same results as Ian and stood by the waiting line of curious eyes which were all focused on my actions.

I actually felt nervous.

Jeff gave me a good luck smile and a nod of the head as I walked passed him and yanked out all of the knives from the targets. My heart began to pound heavily like a drum and I felt heat rushing to my face. I was certain that my face was bright red.

I walked towards the X on the floor and positioned myself onto the balls of my feet, keeping myself light. I closed my eyes shut as took a deep breath.

I threw my first knife at the target in front of me before throwing them heavily at all the others, unable to see if I had hit them. When I was finished, I looked over at them to see that I had missed every single one of them.

Not my best.

I sighed and looked at the queue of boys. The cheeky guy, Chad, had a smirk on his face.

"Tough luck, love. Girls just don't have the skill."

I felt some anger. Girls didn't have the skill, eh? I looked over at Jeff and walked over to him before taking off his beanie. He gave me a confused look, as did the rest of the boys who were looking at eachother with a 'what the fuck' face as I went back over to the X.

I remembered what my PE teacher in Browning high had told me. I needed to concentrate and let my instincts do the work.

I placed the beanie over my head and eyes so that I couldn't see anything. I took deep breathes and calmed myself down before I went into action. I chucked the first knife as hard as I could at the first target and I heard the metal from the knife shake, indicating that I had hit the first target. I quickly spun around and threw another knife, hearing the same noise. I got quicker, lobbing and spinning knives at each target and before I knew it, I had run out of knives.

I heard silence as I took off Jeff's beanie and I looked at all the targets that now had knives jammed into the centre of them. I smirked to myself at my work and faced Chad who was now wearing an expression of confusion and awe.

"Girls just don't have the skill!" I mocked as I handed the beanie back to a chuckling Jeff, who rubbed my head with his hand in a fatherly manner.  "Good job, kiddo! The text books really weren't lying!"

I strolled back over to Ian and Dylan, who were grinning like crazy.

"Now we move onto guns!" Jeff said as he led us over through another door.

The room we walked into was pretty much the same as the last, but instead of targets there were mannequins and ...well... guns.

"You know the drill folkes!" Jeff said as we got into a line.

We repeated what we had done in the knives room, Ian, Dylan and I standing at the back of the queue again.

Chad was good with the guns, but Ian was a pro. He shot every target perfectly in their heads, but he took his time. Dylan, however didn't really seem to know how the guns worked properly so Jeff had to reteach him how to shoot and reload. He did alright in the end, but missed a few targets.

When it was my go I felt a lot calmer than I had done with the knives. I knew that even if this session didn't go well, I still did well earlier on, but I knew that I didn't have a problem with guns. Guns were easy.

I stood on the X again and Jeff gave me an assault rifle. I filled it up with ammo and began to shoot at the mannequins. Due to past experience, you probably already know that I had hit them all in the head. The head is a good place to hit somebody with bullet.

...

...

But you probably already knew.

I ignored the boys stares as I walked back over to Jeff who was grinning like a mad child.

A loud bell rang, indicating that it was lunch time.

"Okay, after lunch we will be doing fighting skills!" Jeff shouted, walking out the doorway.

I couldn't wait.