Chapter 44: Gone

My slow steps towards my bed became fast and messy as I fell onto my knees beside my mothers pale body. I grabbed her shoulders and shook her, but her face remained the same; monotonous. Dead. "Mum. Mum. Mum." My words started out as a whisper, before they got clearer, faster and louder, "Mum! Mum! MUMMUMUMUM! WAKE UP MUMMY!" 

I felt her pulse on her neck and felt nothing, so I ran into the living room and grabbed the phone, dialling 911.

"Hello, this is the emergency service, how can I help you?" A female voice asked calmly.

"H-help! My- my mother, she isn't- isnt breathing!" I gasped, attemping to keep my voice steady but failing as I stuttered and swallowed for nearly every word.

"Alright, stay calm. I'm going to need your address," The lady said, as though she didn't care about the fact my mother was breathless.

"W-what?" I asked. I was too shocked to listen properly.

"I need your address, so I can send over an ambulance."

"Oh, right, it's, um, it's apartment 2-28 on S-s-sined Road," I replied, shaking. I began to feel really sweaty and nausious so I sat down on the couch, my back straight just in case I heared my mother's voice, laughing and telling me that everything was fine; that it was just a joke.

"Okay, I'm sending over an ambulance now," The lady informed me.

"W-what do I do?!" I asked desperately.

"Do you know CPR?" The lady quesioned.

"No, I-I forgot." I said, wanting to beat myself up.

"Just tilt her head back and open her mouth before giving her heavy breaths-" The lady explained before I walked into my bedroom and put down the phone on my bed, next to my mother's hand.

"I can do this, I can do this, I can do this-" I muttered to myself over and over again. "Yes, yes, I remember now."

I tilted mum's head back and blew air into her mouth before pushing on her chest 3 times. I did this over and over again until I heared a crack.

I panicked and grabbed the phone. "Hello!? H-Hello, are you s-still there? I hear-heared a c-c-crack, I think I- I think I cracked a rib!" I said, the sweat dripping off my forehead and onto the ground.

"No need to panick, sweety. Even if you did snap a rib, it doesn't matter. It won't effect anything. Is she breathing now?"

"No... miss, she-she's so cold..." I whimpered.

I was met with a stoney silence.

"Her body is cold?"

"Y-yes."

"Don't worry, honey, an ambulance is on its way."

I teared my eyes away from my mother's lifeless body and looked out of my window when I heared ambulance sirens wailing. The neon yellow vehicle halted outside the building and 2 men ran through the door, holding some medical equipment.

My breathing got heavier and heavier, and I was still too shocked to cry. When I heared a knock on the apartment door, I ran as fast as I could and swooshed open the door to reveal two men wearing scrubs.

"She's-she's in here!" I shouted, running back into my bedroom, the men following.

They looked at her body and got straight to work whilst asking me some questions.

"Did you see how this happened?" The first one asked, checking my mother's pulse.

"No, I-I just came in and found her like this!" I explained quickly, clutching my head.