30.| missed calls

One second I was falling willingly from the canyons edga and the next I was being choked by the collar of my shirt.

I was jerked backwards and thrown into the red dirt behind me.

"What are you doing?" Jordan screeched.

How in the hell did he find me.

He must've read my mind, "Tanner snitched, told me you were leaving town, remember that note you left me? You said you were throwing yourself from the canyon. Brother isn't as dumb as he looks, now what were you thinking?" He asked pulling me to my feet and into an awkward embrace.

"I wasn't" I lied, the truth was, all I'd done was think all the way up until my feet left that edge, I knew now that I didn't want to die.

"Do I need to worry about you?" He asked, hesitantly pulling away to look at me.

I shook my head, I wouldn't soon be trying that again.

There were other ways to avoid Mac, like just ignoring him.

Jordan insisted on driving me home, so we locked my car up and left it in the canyons.

I made Jordan promise not to answer if Mac called, though, I ignored him when he asked why.

If Mac really thought so low of me, then he and his delusions could do without.

When we made it home, I immediately headed for my room, going for my phone to call Tanner, but I realized I'd left it in my car.

I jogged back down the stairs and met Jordan at the bottom, "Hey, I left my phone in my car, could you call Tanner and see what he found out?" I asked him.

He pulled out his phone dialing Tanners number.

"Hey" He said when tanner answered.

"Yeah, Macey wanted to talk to you" He spoke again, this time pulling the phone away and handing it to me.

"Hey" I said lightly.

"Hey I figured it out, i think" He told me.

"Well what is it?" I asked intently.

He took a deep breath, "Long story sure you have that kinda time?"

"Nothing but, now on with it" I demanded.

There was a brief pause before he spoke again, "OK so the second guy you went after, well his uncle was friends with this cop. This cop was one of the ones who brought Mac back to the jail, and he wanted revenge so he started some shit. He told Mac that the girl he was hugging had been around this town, if you know what I mean, and that he'd seen you with me a few times, that we had told somebody who had in turn, told him, that we were running away together." He blurted, trying to catch his breath afterwards.

"So somebody lied to him?" I asked, still not convinced that this was completely true.

"Yes, and Macey?" He said suddenly.

"What?" I asked with raised eyebrows, even though I knew he couldn't see them.

"He loves you, you do know that" He said.

"I know" I assured him.

"Okay, bye"

"Bye"

Now what was I going to do, I had been wrong, yet again.

M A C

"Damnit!" I cursed, smacking the steering wheel. She didn't pick up.

How the fuck I could say all those horrible things to her was beyond me.

Even given what I was told, I know people in this town make shit up, but that didn't stop my mind from playing every possible worst case scenario on repeat.

I loved her more than anything, and I was letting my inner crazy ruin it for both of us.

Macey did love me, and everything they told me was a lie, a ploy to get inside my head.

I drove onward toward her house, but sighed and continued on when I saw that her car wasn't there, I headed toward the canyons for some peace and quiet.

It was dark and I was sure nobody would be there so when I saw her car I nearly jumped out of my skin.

I looked everywhere, but I couldn't see her.

I pulled out my phone to call her again, but I heard it ringing in her car.

Will you still love me

When I'm no longer young and beautiful?

Will you still love me

"When I got nothing but my aching soul?

I know you will, I know you will"

You're damn right I will, I pulled my phone away from my ear hanging it up.

It was then that I noticed I had an unread message from almost 2 hours earlier.

"I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye, I loved you, Mac, and whatever you thought, you were wrong."

Fuck.

I looked around frantically, running up to the edge and looking over, I couldn't see anything in the dark except the ground below my feet.

And I nearly cried when I noticed something shiney and silver, I knew what it was but I picked it up anyway, just as I suspected, a tiny cross necklace.

Maceys.