Chapter Fifty Nine

"Whenever I'm alone with you

You make me feel like I am home again

Whenever I'm alone with you

You make me feel like I am whole again"

Zayn Malik pulled back the heavy red velvet curtain that hid the scurrying and trembling teenagers bustling backstage and managing to pull off some last minute details with flustered expressions and sweat dripping down their foreheads.

Zayn shakily exhaled as he discretely scanned the crowding Assembly Hall for the achingly familiar face and figure of the only girl he truly loved.

“That’s it. I don’t see her anywhere, guys.  I doubt she’ll even show up”

Zayn said as he turned back to look at his four friends, each of them glaring at Zayn. Liam Payne was the first to comfort the nervous and anxious mess of the raven haired boy.

“Would you calm down already? She’ll be here.” He said, his soft brown eyes showing nothing but sincerity and warm reassurance.

“Seriously, Zayn. It isn’t even seven yet” Harry Styles added as he checked out his reflection in a nearby mirror and tried to tame his wild and unruly curls.

“Excuse me!” A squeaky girl with a bouncy blonde bob and piercing blue eyes snapped as she watched Harry scoop up some styling hair wax to try to get his hair to cooperate with him.

She must have been at least seven inches shorter than Harry.

“Do you have any idea how much this hair wax costs?!” she exclaimed as she watched Harry speard an ungodly amount of the product on his curls and smirk.

“Chill out, blondie. It’s just wax” Harry said as he tried to suppress his laughter. He turned back to his reflection and winked at himself.

The blonde girl groaned loudly before she screwed the lid back on the tub of hair wax and stomped off into the changing rooms.

“Isn’t she just a ray of sunshine?” Harry smirked as he made his way back to his group of friends.

“She looks really pissed” Louis Tomlinson added but he was trying his best not to give into the laughter bubbling up inside of him.

Soon, all five of them were laughing loudly and Zayn felt a bit better. He realized that he would always have his friends to offer him understanding and resassurance when he really needed it. S

uddenly, a young man wearing a head set and carrying a clipboard rushed backstage waving his hands around like he was trying to shoo a bee. “

Hurry up, everyone! The curtain will be coming up any moment for the first act! Where the hell is Felicity Miller?” He demanded as his eyes violently scanned the premesis.

Then, a tall lanky brunette wearing a red cocktail dress and a black feather boa stumbled out of the changing rooms looking completely flustered.

“I’m right here, Malcolm!” she called out to the young man wearing the headset. He sighed out of relief and checked his watch.

“Okay, everyone you know where to go! Felicity you’re on in 5-4-3-2- 1!” 

Felicity Miller actually had a great voice but unfortunately she seemed a little nervous since she had messed up the lyrics quite a few times.

Nevertheless, she deserved a round of applause because these days no one sang Billie Holiday anymore. The talented yet timid brunette smiled as she walked off stage.

Seconds later, the host and Drama teacher Ms. Merrywether sauntered on stage holding her bedazzled microphone.

“Thank you Miss Felicity Miller, that was just lovely. Wasn’t her performance lovely, ladies and gentleman?” The oblivious Drama teacher asked with a toothy grin.

The audience replied with a roaring applause that made poor Felicity break out in tears only to be comforted by the insensitive headset guy, Malcolm, who hastily shooed her off the stage so that the second act could go on. 

_______________________________________

Isabella clapped violently as she watched the eigth act depart from the stage.There were ten acts in total and so that meant there were still two more to go.

Kathy and Melany watched Isabella as she stopped clapping and rested her tiny hands on her lap.Lisa leaned across the pretty brunette with a smile spread across her face.

“Enjoying yourself?” the tall and athletic blonde asked.

“Yeah, tons!” Isabella gushed as she watched Ms. Merrywether introduce the next act.

“Okay ladies and gentlemen put your hands together for the Wonderful William and his lovely assistant Milly!” the Drama teacher’s overly excited voice boomed over the PA system only to be replaced by House music seconds after as the magic show began.

Kathy, Melany and Lisa all gave each other knowing glances as the nineth act came to an end. Zayn was the final act and he would be on stage in less than a minute.

Butterflies errupted in each of their tummies as they gripped the sides of their seats, their knuckles going white with anticipation.

Kathy bit her lower lip as she heard the music die down to be substituted by Ms. Merrywether’s high pitched voice yet again.

“Well how ‘bout that ladies and gentleman? Please give them another round of applause” she squealed into her microphone. It was fairly obvious she was enjoying herself at that moment.

William and Milly waved to the audience before the left the stage. Ms. Merrywether sashayed to the middle of the stage smiling.

“Well unfortunately, the next act is the final one but we’ve saved the best for last,” the teacher began as she paused to try to add suspense.

Kathy, Melany and Lisa were all but falling off their seats as they waited for Zayn and Niall to be called out on stage Melany tapped her foot impatinelty as she cursed the Drama teacher.

“Please ladies and gentleman give a warm welcome to,” she paused so turn around so that she was faced with the red velvet curtain being opened reveal two dark figures, one much taller than the other.

“Mr. Zayn Malik and Mr. Niall Horan!” Ms. Merrywhether shouted happily before she walked off stage.

Isabella’s eyes widened considerably after what she had just witnessed.

Never in a million years would she have thought that Zayn would get over his fear of performance.