Chapter 3

A/N: enjoy the chapter, it's a pretty deep one. Flashback is in italics.

Riley's POV

I didn't tell anyone I went to Maya's because I wanted to avoid people influencing my responses to her. When I got home uncle Shawn was the only one home.

"Hey kiddo." He smiles up at me from the book he is looking at.
"Hi uncle Shawn." I half smiled.
"What's wrong?" Shawn gestured for me to come sit next to him and talk about it.
"A lot is wrong, I messed up and I don't think I'll be forgiven easy." I explained to him as I was sitting down on the living room couch.
"Did you and Farkle get in a fight?" He looked at me.
"No, not at all." I kinda chuckled at that fact that he assumed it was Farkle.
"It can't be Maya.." He looked all serious now.
"Unfortunately it is." I looked down at my hands.
"What happened at that party because she was fine after she talked to us?" He said us? Does that mean my parents know what she's hiding?
"What do you mean us?" I shot a look at him.
"Um. Me, your mom and dad." He explained as he set  down his book.
"So my parents even know what's going on with Maya?" I questioned him because everyone seems to be in the know of what's going on but me.
"Don't try to force it out of her Riley, she doesn't know how to handle what's going on right now, Lucas is helping her. Let her come to you, it'll be less stressful on her." He talks as if Maya is going to die.
"I don't think anything can be more stressful than what she's been through." My statement wasn't completely thought through.
"This is pretty big and could change a lot of things, I have to ask though, why is she mad at you? Everything seemed fine when I talked to her at the party." He was giving me that look again.
"Shawn, as much as I would love to tell you, some things my parents don't need to find out." I looked away from him.
"Who do you think you're talking to? Cory? I've lost count of how many times I've gone over the line, how about this? You tell me what happened with Maya and I won't tell your mom and dad and I'll try and talk with Maya if the circumstances are big enough. Sound like a deal?" He smiled at me.
"Okay, well, our New Year's Eve party went south after she talked to you guys, you know, we're 17 and Lucas is 18. So I thought it would be fun to have alcohol, I mean it's New Years and I know I shouldn't have given what we just found out on Christmas. Then I failed to remind her the source of the problem on Christmas was going to be at the New Year's Eve party and I pushed her to drink and she got really upset and yelled at me and I didn't really see much of her after that, that's where I was just coming from was Maya's." I explained to him, but he seemed rather confused by the Christmas part.
"What happened on Christmas besides what seemed like a disagreement between josh and Maya?" Shawn has never had this much concern before.
"Um, back in our freshman year of high school, Maya and Josh dated for a bit, which obviously you know and one night she snuck out to go see him and he was drunk and he hit her multiple times." I realized Maya didn't want anyone knowing, but something like this needed to be brought to his attention.
"And Josh showed up to the party and that's what you forgot to tell her was that he would be there and then the alcohol was a trigger of memories, I see why she's angry, put yourself in her shoes, after everything she's been through, don't you think you would be angry too, Riley?" As soon as he said that I realized what a pain I was being to Maya and that I wasn't putting her first.
"Yeah. You're right. I was just nervous when I saw them talking." I looked back down again.
"I can't imagine it being a good talk based on what we know from the situation." He added in.
"Some of it seemed okay and other times she looked like she was either about to punch him and other times she looked like she was about to break." I felt my eyes filling up with tears because I hate seeing my best friend like this.
"Try your best to get her trust back, she needs you, no matter how much she doesn't want to admit it, she really needs you and can't do this alone." He reminded me once again, I don't understand anything that's going on anymore.