Chapter 43

A/N: so, you all had very strong opinions on yesterday's chapter. Which I expected. I'm here to tell you that things will be resolved SOON. I love you guys and thank you for the feedback, I value everyone's opinions and it makes me happy when you guys comment. It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.

Lucas's POV

As I asked, Riley had the bay window open. I know it was kinda late, but I needed to talk to someone and Riley has always been an easy person to talk to.

"Lucas what's going on? You look like you've been hit by a train." She asked while walking over to the bay window to sit next to me as I climbed in and sat down.

"I broke up with Maya."

"You what?" She asked. I think she thought she misunderstood what I said. "Lucas you were just saying earlier how much you love her and want the best for her."

"Yes Riley exactly. I'm obviously not the best for her, I can't do anything right in her eyes. Every little thing I do to try and help she snaps on me. I can't take it. I love her more then life itself, but I can only take so much." I replied and I could feel the tears building up in my eyes.

"Lucas, Maya loves you."

"Could have fooled me." I retorted.

"She's scared. She's told me so many times how much she loves you. That hasn't changed. This pregnancy is doing a number on her. I know it's hard, but you can't just leave her, who knows what she's going to do now." She explained to me. While it all made sense, but I can't help, but think everything I try to do is wrong.

"Her and I are suppose to be a team Riley. We're suppose to want to do things together, make decisions together, create that nursery together and all she wants is to pick at everything I'm trying to do for her. I'm not doing any of these things for myself, I'm 17 years old, most guys would have ran knowing they had a kid on the way, but I didn't. I stayed. Everything I've done in the past year has all been for Maya and no one else." I explained to her.

"You have to remember that the nursery used to be her safe place. That's where she would go to do art and escape from reality, so she probably just wants it perfect. She hasn't flat up told me, but I know she's scared. I've never seen her so terrified about anything before. She's always questioning if she can do this and if she'll be a good mom. She's always had an issue with believing that good things can happen." She explained further.

"I don't know anymore Riley. Nothing makes sense. I don't know what she wants." I replied.

"You. She wants you and you need to fight for her. Her fear is being left and the one person she's loved the most since her mom died is you and you left. Think of what's going through her mind right now. It's not easy for her, she's been through so much in the past year and everything is just weighing her down." She responded.

"Yeah, I know. I've also stuck by her side through all of that too. She was more appreciative then, then she is now. I think I just need time to think things through. I'm staying with my mom again. So before it gets any later I need to get home before she gets upset I'm not home." I said as I crawled back out the window to head back home.

Riley's POV

After Lucas left I texted Farkle and told him to come back over because I needed to speak with him about Maya. It didn't take him long until I saw him at the bay window. I opened the window and let him in.

"What's up?" He asked me curiously.

"Lucas broke up with Maya."

"What..?" He responded in a shocked tone. "That doesn't make any sense."

"None of this does Farkle. They can't be without each other and the longer this goes on, the more it's going to destroy them emotionally." I replied.

"I honestly wish we knew what was going on with Maya so we could help try to fix it." He said. He looked determined. We both know Maya doesn't like to be fixed, but were her friends and we care about her well being.

"This is more then what she's letting on Farkle, so much more. It's not just hormones. If you saw the way she acted with that baby book. She wasn't herself at all." I explained to him.

"You know, this reminds me back to when you were bullied in middle school and you didn't say anything, but I figured it out because I went through it too. Except she's not getting bullied, this goes deeper then that. We need to figure this out and bring Maya back." He replied.

Farkle is right. This goes so much deeper then we know, but what is it. Maybe I should try and speak with her again. I know she doesn't want to see anyone right now because well, she's Maya. Stubborn as they come. She's my best friend and I love her. I only want the best for her, I hate that she feels so alone and can't reach out to us about this.

"I'm going to try and talk to her again, but keep it as sensitive as possible so maybe I can get her to break into telling me." I said to him.

"If anyone can get through to her, it's you. I believe you can do it. I've always believed in you Riley." He said with a smile on his face as he leaned in and kissed me on the cheek which instantly made me blush. "You're cute when you blush."

"Oh, stop. That's your fault." I giggled.

"Okay, okay. Go talk to Maya, you got this." He said in an encouraging voice.

I knew my parents would never let me leave this late to go talk to Maya so I went out the bay window and headed for her place. This needed down right away. It wasn't something that could wait.