Amnesia XVIII

"Have we all been keeping up to date with the news?" Mr Holloway asked.

Addison was sat next to Maya in the auditorium of her business management class. The lesson had been about reviewing The Cube and making sure they all got something from the experience. A pretty pointless lesson but it meant that no homework.

"Then I'm sure you've all heard about the findings in the Myer and Co case," Mr Holloway continued. "Would someone like to tell the class what has been going on incase anyone is not up to speed?"

A guy called James spoke. "Joseph Myer was into gambling. He bet fifty million on a deal with Lawson Incorp. A deal which he lost. Apparently he couldn't pay it. Sir, I don't understand that because weren't the Myers billionaires?"

"They were indeed" replied Mr Holloway. "Except this bet was made thirteen years ago. Myer and Co had only been in business for about two years at that point. The business was doing exceptionally well but he was not even a millionaire back then. It was only ten years later that Myer and Co became one of the Big Three, and of course today it is the biggest and best company in the world."

"So if he didn't have the money, then why place the bet in the first place?" Asked Alec.

"I suspect that Joseph thought he would most certainly win the bet. I also think that he needed the money. Remember, this is Lawson Incorp we are talking about. Not only was it the best company at the time, but it was also the company that gave Joseph the idea to start Myer and Co. The Lawson's had been in business a long time. They knew how to bet to their advantage. Something the Myer's should have foreseen."

"How does this link into their case then?" Shouted Ava who was seated at the very back of the auditorium.

"Well reporters are saying that Joseph may never have paid the full amount of money back. That gives Lawson Incorp a motive for their death. They are not calling the plane crash an 'accident' anymore. They suspect it was murder. The current CEO is under private investigations to see if she knows anything. If it turns out that this was indeed murder, then there will be a lot of drastic changes in the business world."

The bell rang signalling the end of class. Everyone started to gather their things and head out. Mr Holloway said something about keeping a watch on the news, but Addison was sure that no one was paying attention to him anymore. Maya and Freya waited for Addison to gather up her belongings and then walked out with her.

Freya examined her hands. "We should all get manicures. Oh! Let's have a sleepover some time!"

Maya looked up from phone and stared at Freya. "We share a room Freya. Everyday is a sleepover."

"Yeah but Addison doesn't! You should come over one night Addison. Then we could do our nails, have facials, drink champagne with strawberries and have a designer fashion show!"

Champagne with strawberries. Modelling designer outfits. Even though she went to Eaton, it never failed to surprise Addison what normal was to the Elites. Had she even drank champagne before? Did she even own designer clothes?

"Sure" replied Addison. "Just tell me a day and we'll arrange it."

It was then time for her next lesson, psychology. She took her seat next to Thomas and waited for Miss Collins to make an entrance. Addison looked at him, he had dark circles under his eyes and he kept glancing at his phone every few minutes.

"Is everything okay?" She asked Thomas.

"Hmm?" He asked putting his phone away in his back pocket and turning towards Addison. "What was that?"

"I asked if everything was okay."

"Oh, yeah everything's fine." He replied with a smile. Addison knew that smile too well. It was the smile that said 'everything's terrible but I really don't want to answer your question so please believe that everything is perfectly fine'. It was a smile that Addison had worn quite a few times herself.