Amnesia LII

Addison woke up the next morning in a fright. Her alarm blared out a screeching scream causing her to sit up petrified wondering what was going on. Why did she ever think that a loud scream from a horror movie was a good sound for an alarm? At least it did the job. Twenty seconds later Maria entered the room wearing a house robe and carrying a bottle of pepper spray.

"What is going on? Chiquita are you okay? Why were you screaming?" Maria asked in concern as her eyes wandered around the room looking for any signs of danger.

Addison watched Maria and tried not to laugh. "It was my alarm, I'm fine."

"You're alarm is someone screaming?"

"I like to think of it as a very effective wake-up call."

"The older they get, the weirder they get," Maria replied as she finally lowered the pepper spray. "Oh, Clary wanted me to let you know that she needed to go to the office. Some boy named Caiden is picking you up at 11."

Addison tried not smile at his name. She nodded. "Thanks, Maria."

Maria saw right through Addison. She could tell how much the boy meant to Addison, it was written all over her face. She turned away from Addison and smiled at the blushing teenager.

"Oh, Maria?" Addison said causing Maria to turn back towards her.

"Yes, chiquita?"

"Why do you have pepper spray?"

Maria looked down at the bottle and then back up at Addison. "I guess you'll find out if this Caiden boy breaks your heart." Without waiting for a response or even a reaction, Maria turned and walked out of the room.

Addison stared at where the little woman stood. That was why she loved Maria. She never failed to surprise her. Addison got ready and then ate breakfast.

She texted Caiden telling him not to pick her up. Forty minutes later and still no answer. It was 10:30 which probably meant that he was in a lesson. Not wanting to waste any more time, Addison said her goodbyes to Maria, took her luggage and went outside to the garage. She took out her key from her handbag and unlocked her Porsche. Her Porsche was her everything. She loved that car with her whole life. The legal driving age in England was eighteen. Addison had learnt how to drive in America, yet when she came back to England she wasn't allowed to drive. Until now. Now that she was eighteen, she could finally drive her beloved car.

Addison started up her Porsche and began to drive out of the gates. It was hard to see due to the flashes of the cameras, but somehow she got through. Did the media really need to take pictures of her while she driving? Were they going to follow her to the Academy? It was a good thing Caiden hadn't picked her up. The media would have exploited the innocent gesture.

She drove all the way to the prestigious Academy while listening and humming along to the radio. She had only ever driven a car twice in America after getting her licence, she had no idea where all the confidence had come from. As she parked her car and got out, she heard someone walk towards her. Caiden.

He looked at the Porsche and then back at her. "What do you think you're doing driving in this state? I was just about to come pick you up."

"Caiden I'm fine! I wanted to drive, it's been a while."

Caiden watched her for a few seconds before pulling her into a hug. And just like that, all was forgiven. Addison could have stayed like that for an eternity. She could feel his heart beating fast. Was she doing that to him or was it because he had gotten himself worked up questioning her?

After helping Addison take her bags inside the Academy, they made their way to the Elite Wing. Surprisingly the hallways were empty, then again everyone was probably in lessons. "I'm still staying with you?" Addison asked. She had thought that she might have got her own dorm once she came back.