Amnesia LIII

Addison walked into the dining hall the next morning for breakfast. Usually she, Caiden and Lauren would have breakfast in their dorm together but considering the circumstances, they thought going to breakfast with everyone else was for the best. That way everyone would get over the initial shock of seeing Addison and things wouldn't be so awkward for her. As Addison entered the hall, heads started turning her way, conversations stopped and even a few gasps sounded.

Addison paused while she looked at everyone. Then Lauren and Caiden held her hands, which only made more gasps sound. Caiden lead them to the Elite table where they took a seat next to Freya, Maya and Daniel. A minute passed before everyone went back to their own conversations. However, all eyes on the Elite table were still on Addison.

She noticed that people weren't sitting in their usual mini friendship groups anymore. They were more sociable. Even though Addison didn't know for sure, she was certain that it was due to Blair's absence. Ignoring their stares, Addison began to fill her plate up with french toast and fresh berries. Everyone took that as their cue to speak to her... All at once. It felt like she was being harassed by the media all over again. The questions weren't as harsh, but some of them were random and odd.

"Are you okay Addison?"

"How are you feeling now?"

"You look great! Did you do something to your hair?"

"What are your plans for the summer?"

"Want to come to Geneva with us? We'd love for you to be there!"

"Remember that time in English Literature when I asked you for a pen? Good times."

"We should have a sleepover! Come to our dorm!"

Addison looked at the Elites with concerned eyes. What was with the sudden attention? She then realised something. It was so obvious and had been staring her in the face for the past few minutes but Addison had been too blind to see it. Blair wasn't around anymore and everyone knew the truth. Addison was a Myer. She was the richest amongst them all. She was their new 'leader'. She was their new Blair.

"Woah hold on," Addison said making everyone on the table instantly fall silent. "I haven't even spoken to some of you before and suddenly your acting like my best friends?" She was well aware of the little girl sitting next to her so she chose her next words carefully. "I don't want leadership in some exclusive group just because you all found out who I am. The way some of you treated me before was enough to show me that the Elites can be toxic to some people's lives. It would be so much better if such a group didn't exist. That we socialise with everyone and don't discriminate. Most of the students here are pretty cool once you get to know them. You should all try it, try and make friends outside the Elites."

Everyone stared at Addison not knowing what to say. It took Freya and Maya to start talking to some non- Elites for everyone else to try it too. Once they did, Addison relaxed and ate her breakfast in peace. She looked at Lauren's plate and laughed. "Fan of French toast?" She asked.

There were around seven or eight pieces filling her plate. Lauren nodded and took a large bite out of a piece. "It's delicious!"

Addison took a bite herself and nodded in agreement. Every now and then she made eye contact with the people who were watching her. They quickly turned away soon after. A group of familiar teenagers sitting at the back of the hall caught Addison's eye. Katerina. She hadn't spoken to her since the passport incident. Isabelle looked at Addison and smiled slightly. Addison didn't react, instead, she turned back to Lauren and was shocked to see that she had finished three-quarters of her pile of french toast. Did Caiden even feed the child?