Amnesia XLVII

It was surreal to think that just two months ago the three of them had been held at gunpoint. Now here was Caiden putting fresh flowers he had bought into the vase next to Addison's bed where she lay in a coma. It had become a routine. Wake up, get ready, go the market and get flowers, go to the hospital, go back to the academy, try to sleep and then do it all over again the next day. Every day was the same. No progress.

Clary had specifically requested a room with a large window for Addison. She didn't want her to stay in the normal hospital rooms, Addison deserved the best of the best which was why she was in a private room. The light illuminated the hospital room making the sombre mood a little lighter than it actually was.

Caiden sighed as he sat on the chair. He looked at Addison and the events of that day replayed in his mind. The way she hit the floor. The pool of blood that surrounded her and soaked into her brunette hair. She yelled in pain once. Just once. Then Addison went silent. Clary tried to break free from the man's grasp but was too weak to do so. Caiden, on the other hand, had been more successful. He ran to Addison and yelled her name. But she wouldn't wake up.

The men ran as more gunshots went off but they were all caught eventually by the police. That left Caiden and Clary to clean up the mess they had made. Addison's breathing was out of rhythm and Caiden had expected the worst. An ambulance soon approached the scene and Addison was rushed into hospital. At first, they didn't want Caiden to ride in the ambulance with them, but Caiden could be very persuasive when he needed to be. Addison was rushed to the emergency room where she was immediately sent into surgery by none other than Doctor Reed operating on her. He was also the one who told them that Addison had had a brain haemorrhage.

It came as a shock to the both of them. Clary was so concerned that she started having a panic attack. No one blamed her, Addison was like a daughter to her after all. For the first few days, her health deteriorated. So much so that she was nearly hospitalised because of it. It took a chat with Doctor Reed for her to realise that she needed to stay strong and calm for Addison. She was better after that, but everyone knew that it was all a facade.

Doctor Reed explained that Addison had brain damage due to the last time she was in a coma. By the men banging her head against the wall, they had caused internal bleeding. It was a miracle that she was still breathing, a few more seconds and she wouldn't have been alive. That said, the surgery went well. They had managed to regain Addison's consciousness through it. That came as big relief to everyone. Everything was okay. She was awake and recovering. Then something went wrong. Just as she was coming out of surgery, she went stiff. At first, the doctors thought she was having a stroke or something. Then they realised that her body wasn't responding well, she slipped into a coma and she still hadn't woken up.

Everyday Caiden came to the hospital and hoped that it was going to be the day. The day that Addison finally woke up. Once he was so sure that the day had arrived. He even brought Addison her favourite food and waited by her side the whole day for her to get up and eat it. He planned what he was going to say and everything. He was going to tell her everything that she had missed, show her the photographs and make sure that she felt like she was a part of it all. He was going to tell her how he had missed her, how they all had.Yet he never got the chance to do so. A month and fifteen days later and there was still no luck.

For the first few days, Caiden skipped school. He alternated between Maddison's room in the hospital and Addison's. It was hard going for those days. Alternating from feeling really low to being animated in front of Maddison. He didn't know how he did it. Yet he couldn't show Maddison how he really felt, he couldn't let her see him like that.

Maddison got out of the hospital a few days after the ice skating accident. Lorenzo had told her that Addison hadn't been feeling well so she was in the hospital. He told her that she was in pain but the doctors were kind enough to put her to sleep so that she wouldn't feel it. When she asked why her Ari didn't ever wake up, Caiden told her that she was fighting a battle inside her head. Once she won, she would wake up.