Amnesia XXXII

The two teenage boys were in Daniel's dorm room playing video games. It didn't matter how old you were or where you went, boys would be boys. Daniel was beating Caiden. It always went like that. Daniel would be in the lead for most of the game and then somehow Caiden would end up winning. Daniel could never figure out how he managed to do it every time.

Caiden had left Maddison with Maya and Freya. Maddison had wanted to stay with Addison but she was nowhere to be found. She was probably somewhere in the Academy, but Caiden couldn't shake a slight worry that she was in trouble. Considering recent events, his anxiousness was justified.

"How's the trial going?" Caiden asked Daniel. He knew exactly how it was going, the Myer case was all over the news.

"I don't know any more than you do Caiden," Daniel replied. He knew where the conversation was headed and didn't want to go down that road again. Every time they had this conversation, it always ended the same way. Caiden getting angry and leaving. "Just talk to her."

"Not for another million years," Caiden responded. "Did you ask your mum?" Caiden had asked Daniel to talk to his mother about representing his case. Being a lawyer, Caiden's mother was representing herself in the custody case. The only problem was, she never lost. If Caiden and Lorenzo wanted to win the custody of the four-year-old, then they would need a fantastic lawyer. Jane.

"You know she would never agree."

"I'll take that as a no" Caiden replied. "Fine, I'll find someone else who can fight against my mother."

Daniel stood still. Caiden had thought that he would reply back. When it was clear that he had no intention of doing so, Caiden walked out of Daniel's dorm room leaving the game unfinished.

His father and he were trying their best to find a lawyer. Anyone that would be able to defeat Francesca. Lorenzo hated it when Caiden called his mother by her name, but why should he call her 'mum' if she didn't act like one?

He hated her for trying to take his little sister away from him. The little girl hated it when he shouted on the phone, little did she know that he was fighting for her. That was the topic of conversation he was having with his father the day Addison cut his phone call. Caiden was talking to his dad about lawyers. Everything was going fine until his dad mentioned trying to talk to Francesca about it. That maybe she would see sense. Where was the logic in that? She had filed a custody case, there was no going back.

* * *

Addison had found a way to sneak out of the Academy, but she had no idea how she was going to get back in. There were no cars this time to hide under. One way entered Addison's mind. It was a long shot and she was 99.9% sure it wouldn't work, but she had no other choice. Luck was never usually on her side but maybe this time would be different.

Taking her chances, Addison casually strolled up to the iron gates and tried to look the exact opposite of how she was feeling. With a mask of confidence, Addison walked up to the guard and waited for him to open the gates.

The guard looked at her in confusion, she was so going to get caught. "I don't remember letting you out?"

As calmly as she could, Addison replied. "You don't remember seeing me this morning?"

The guard thought about it. He had seen her that morning, but he didn't open the gates for Addison to leave. The teenager crossed her fingers in her coat pocket and hoped for the best. "Oh yes, come in."

Addison couldn't believe her luck. She walked in and when she was far away from the guard, she breathed a sigh of relief. The teenager walked up to the doors of the Academy, all she had to do was get inside before anybody saw her. The doors swung open and Addison jumped aside and hid in the shadows. Caiden stormed out of the Academy, got into his car and sped away. That boy was going to get himself killed because of his reckless driving.