Amnesia XXXIV

Addison woke up the next morning to birds chirping outside. Usually, that was the most annoying sound to get up to, Addison hated it more than the sound of her alarm. Why? Because you put your alarm at a certain time to get up, birds chirped at ridiculous o'clock when it was a perfect occasion to sleep in. However, instead of waking up in frustration, Addison stared at the parcel on her bedside table in confusion. She sat up and placed the parcel on her lap. There was a note attached to it. 'Wait for my call.' Addison knew that handwriting well. Clary.

She checked her phone. Three missed calls. Addison immediately called her back and waited for her to pick up. On the third ring, she did.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Ari, happy birthday to you!" Sang Clary. Addison smiled in confusion and checked her phone. December 7th. "Let me guess, you forgot your own birthday didn't you?"

Addison did an exhaled laugh. "It may have slipped my mind." Due to everything going on, the last thing on Addison's mind was her big day. She had been so excited all year for her birthday, yet she had thought she would be celebrating in different circumstances.

"Ari you're eighteen!" Clary exclaimed. Addison's smile grew larger. She was finally an adult. Was there any emotion in the world that could describe that feeling? "Open your present! The green one first!"

Addison ripped open the brown paper that concealed two small wrapped up boxes inside. The wrapping paper was gorgeous. One was a lovely lavender with silver swirls, and the other was a lime green with white polka dots. Carefully, Addison undid the tape and saved the green wrapping paper. She opened the small box and was overjoyed by what she saw. Her necklace and bracelet.

The diamond key necklace was a thirteenth birthday present from her mother and father. She wore it every day without fail. Whenever Addison was nervous or scared, she would play with it and it would calm her down. The platinum charm bracelet was a Christmas gift from Clary around eleven years ago. Every place they travelled to, Clary would get her a charm for her bracelet. An elephant with diamond eyes from Thailand, a snowflake from New York, an Eiffel Tower from Paris. There was so many but Addison could still remember the stories that went with each one. Addison's personal favourite was a silver anchor with a sapphire. 'With the life you lead, it's easy to forget who you really are. An anchor keeps you grounded. When you look at it, remember that you're Ari. Ari Myer.' Clary had said. Addison could never forget those words. They had got her through some dark days.

"Thank you! I've missed them so much!" Addison exclaimed. She really had missed them. The bracelet and necklace were only pieces of jewellery to everyone else, but to Addison, they meant so much more.

"We aren't done yet! Open the next one!" Clary said.

Addison carefully opened the purple wrapping paper and pulled out an identical box. She opened it and saw a charm. It was a simple rose gold circle with a diamond 'A' on it in cursive writing. A for Ari. A for her birth name. Addison squealed. She put it on the charm bracelet and admired it from different angles. "I love it! Thank you!"

"We still aren't finished," Clary said. Addison frowned. There were no more mini gifts in the parcel. "Look in your wardrobe."

"What?"

"Go ahead and look."

Addison got up from her bed and opened her wardrobe. She didn't notice it at first, everything looked normal. Then she noticed a mini black dress at the back that she had never seen before. She got it out of the wardrobe and her face lit up. Other than the lace neckline, it was a pretty simple dress, but it was perfect for the day.

"How did you get this all here?" Addison asked curiously. The parcel was obviously delivered, but how had Clary got the dress in her wardrobe?

"That's a secret! Don't worry about it, all I wanted to do was make sure that you had a good day even though I can't be there."