:)

Date: May 25th, 2003

The night air chilled me more than usual, which is especially peculiar given that it's six days until June. Cold wind blew all around my room and sneaking past the warmness of my thick quilt. I shivered, pulling the navy blue blanket tighter around my body. It did its job for the moment, but seconds later the iciness surrounded me yet again.

I stirred around restlessly, trying to find the pair of arms that almost always embrace me during the night. My searching hands came up empty. Immediate, blaring sirens of worry were sent to all the nerves in my body, waking me up instantly.

My eyes roamed my room. His dirty white Converse aren't where they were earlier-in the corner next to my half-full trash can-and his pajamas are laying on the end of my bedpost, instead of his regular clothes. The cold air came in from the only window in my room, a window that wasn't cracked open when I went to sleep.

Oh God. What if he left again? What if he's out there getting drugs again
He could be thrown into jail for real this time. He knows Andrew isn't going to bail him out! Why is he so dumb?!

Goddamn it, Jonah, you can't even last a full four weeks without messing up, I thought viciously.

Adrenaline coursed through every vein in my body as I shot out of bed and bolted for my closet. The sound of my window opening stopped me from ripping my hoodie off its hanger and grabbing a pair of shoes. Jonah stealthily climbed back into the room one leg at a time, then closed the window behind him. His blonde hair was ruffled by the wind, but other than the hair, nothing seemed to be out of place.

"What are you doing up, babe?" he asked nonchalantly, taking in my frazzled demeanor.

It usually takes me a second now to realize that he's actually my Jonah, and not some stranger that comes into my room late at night. His piercings and earrings were gone and his once black tresses were now brownish-blonde. Even the eyeliner was gone. He complied to Andrew's each and every demand - even changing his wardrobe with splashes of color. Like right now, the Jonah from last month would never wear a plain red shirt and sweatpants.

I stepped away from the closet, folding my arms across my chest.

"Me? What about you?"

He shrugged with an elated smile. "Sher needed gas. It's great that you're up, though." Jonah, smirking, crossed the room quietly and drew my body into his. "Happy birthday, babe."

Who the hell wakes up at twelve at night to put gas in a car and says happy birthday. He's up to something. He has to be.

I nestled deeper into his hug, yawning, "Thank you. Let's go back to sleep now."

"No, we gotta go. Sher is still running. Grab some shoes and a jacket. I'll wait for you outside."

He let me go and walked back to my window, kicking one leg out and the other, then hopped out. When he saw that I hadn't moved an inch, he begged, "For me, Winnie." I sighed deeply. This better be a damn good birthday present. I slid into my slippers and into the hoodie I meant to grab. I thought about changing into less revealing pajamas-boy shorts and a Back to The Future tank top with the phrase 'Great Scott' in the same font as the film's-but I was too lazy and it normally takes me modeling ten outfits before settling on the second or third one.

Jonah patiently waited for me to creep out of my window, catching me in his arms once I jumped. Then we were running.

The night is quiet. Stars in the sky winked from above, giving the cold night an almost fairytale effect. The crescent moon is crammed in with the stars. Its traditional shine is dimmed by the lit streetlamps. Running to the car felt like heaven with the cold wind gusting in our faces. The air smelled of grass and of the wild petunias my neighbor planted in her front yard.