More Than A One Night Stand

Diggy's POV

|
|
|

That's the last time I cover someone's night shift. Who in the hell wants to work till three in the morning? Only to be back at work in five hours. "Alright all you early-birds or night-hounds were gonna slow this down with a Throwin' It Back Thursday special from 101.1. Here's SWV's Weak." I need to start bringing some of my own music in the car. Radio music always plays the same shit day in and day out for months until something new is produced.

Thunder crackled around the car, the stereo blanking out. Great, no reception. Now I'm driving on a deserted freeway, it's pouring down rain, and I have no music to listen to. If this doesn't sound like a scene from a murder movie, I don't know what does. Another car appeared in the distance, a person waving their arms in the air for help. What if this is the part of the movie where the innocent victim gets out to help that person, only to be gunned down and shot to death? That's why I don't pick up any strangers.

My headlights illuminated the road and although the drops of water were not helping the view, I could still see a pair of stiletto heels shining like it was already on a display case. Okay, what if it's a woman serial killer who uses her body to seduce men and kill them for something that happened in her past? Damn, I'm watching too many CSI videos. It's just that something doesn't seem right about this scenario. The radio was still out, transmission sounds blaring in the car but dwindled down to a buzz, a woman in dire need of assistance, and me as the only person that could help. Not to mention it's three o'clock in the morning. Yep, this is definitely going to get me killed.

"Just do it, Dig." I huffed, pulling over.

She was shivering. Almost quaking for dear life when she walked up to the window. Her brown hair was drenched, her clothes too. She wasn't wearing a jacket, or the proper clothes for this moment in time. Stiletto heels with a skirt that went barely past her middle thigh and a blouse. Even though it's dark I can still see that her bra color was a neon pink with black polka dots and a white bow. "Th..thank y..you for p..pulling over. I've b..b..been s..stuck out here f..for an hour."

Rain took it's chance at coming in my car as I rolled my window all the way down. "What's the problem?"

"M..my car's d..dead and th...the engine is s..shot."

"Do you need a ride?" Her voice was so faint and shaken. It was like she was a little girl who lost her mom in the store. She was scared and she needed help, and the only help she could get was from a stranger. The woman nodded, looking at me with her pleading almond eyes. "I can get you where you gotta go." A tantalizing smell of delicious aroma overpowered my car as she got in. She smelled like a freshly made gingerbread house with snicker-doodle cookies. "Oh God, it's w..warm in here. I'm s..sorry for th..the inconvenience. I f..forgot my phone at m..my house, so I c..couldn't call anyone."

"It's no problem? Where do you need to go?" My breath hitched when she reached over on my side of the car and rolled up my window. Her wet breasts squished on my shoulder for a brief second, but her candied fragrance remained constant.

"Sorry. It w..was cold. You smell g..good by the way." She giggled at her own statement, cheeks blushing in surprise. Maybe that wasn't suppose to come out. "Umm thanks, you didn't answer my question though." The murky air shifted into a silent suffering. Her body moved to get more comfortable, or perhaps she was comfortable and the question made her uncomfortable. One way or another, she wasn't talking. "In order for me to go, I need a destination." I whispered, looking her way.

She returned my glance, biting her bottom lip for refuge. The quivering of her speech had subsided, letting her words flow more properly. "I was leaving town. I already made it out of three states, but then my car started to sputter and gurgle. Then it just called it quits. So, I don't know where I am and I'm not going back." Technically speaking, she has nowhere to go. What kind of mess did I get in? "Look, how about I let you stay over at my place for the night, and we see what we can do from there."