Chapter 23: Lyra's Big Break

The train ride home was even more engaging than the one on the ride to Canterlot. Twilight wasn't speaking, she knew better. If she had spoken, she might have never spoken to me again. I wouldn't speak if spoken to anyways. I knew what needed done. Twilight isn't who I thought she was, she was... Evil... No, not evil... She was crazy, but she blames me for it. She says she subconsciously needs me, but I believe she just wants an excuse.
Either way, it was time.

"Lyra..." I whispered. She was lying in the bed I was sitting on. I had sat on the foot of her bed, Twilight gets to be 'alone' for a while.
"Yeah?" She whispered.
"I think... If you want a chance, now's the time..." I whispered.
She gasped, apparently she was shocked by this. "G-Garret... I..." She trailed off.
"I-I... Uh... Maybe I should just go?" I asked.
"No, I... Just..." She squeaked out. "Can't think of... the right words."
I nodded.

***

Lyra POV:

He's giving me a chance, and I'm flopping around like a fish in sand. No way am I going to blow this!
"Garret... Uh..." I sat up and scooted up to him, side to side. Sitting like a human, I felt comfortable. "I love you." I sat my head on his shoulder.
"I love you too..." He whispered. He lay his head lightly on top of mine.
I shivered, it took time, but I finally got it. The one thing I've wanted since his first day here. My heart was skipping like crazy.
"Y-you love me?"
"Since the day you fed me, I've known. But I'm just unsure. Romantically, I walk on thin ice, tread lightly, and still fall through." He sighed. "Even when I treat romance properly, and take caution someon- somepony still gets hurt. Fluttershy, then you, and now Twilight."
"But you never hurt me... When did you think that?"
"When you kidnapped me?"
"I was sick of waiting... I thought I might have had a chance, but now's my chance."
"You always had a chance... You just never took it the right way... But now you don't have a chance, you took it. Forget Twilight. It's us now, I'm done with the insanity, I'm done with it. I can't take another day of her."
I had become nervous quickly. Insanity, he's done with... That isn't good... He knows how I am about people. "Garret, I'm crazy too..."
"I know, but your craziness... Is of me, not over me. Yeah... What could go wrong?"
"Twilight could try to foalnap you from me, or maybe you go back to her."
"Don't worry about that... I'm living with you now, and it's going to be fine." He stroked my back with his hand. Then came my mental stumbling. I can't speak again. Great, now I can't-
"Garret, what are you doing?" Twilight asked.
"What's right." He said.
"So sitting up against Lyra is 'what's right?' to you?"
"Yes. It's what needs to be done. I'm opening my heart. Leaving my mind behind and letting my heart run for awhile."
"That's absurd. Come back over here, it's really cold in here."
Still unable to speak, I can't give my opinion.
"Twilight... I don't care."
"W-What?"
"I. Don't. Care. I need to lay down."
"Then come over here, lay down."
He remained silent as he rolled and lay flat on my bed. My bed. Running on instinct I lay next to him. Both of us face up, side-to-side. My heart might not even be beating. I am again, drooling, but not quite as visibly as you'd expect.
Garret was laying next to me, in my bed. Without Twilight in his mind. I almost audibly moaned.

***

(Song: Awake My Soul - Mumford and Sons. It fits Garret's mindset right now.)

Garret POV:

Lyra was lying next to me, happy as can be, but my mind was focused on Twilight. I was dying on the inside, but only because I know that I was killing her on the inside. I don't care, but I do. I don't care enough to stop, but I care enough to know I'm wrong. Love hurts, what else can I say?
Lyra, however, was a fresh start, a clean-slate. She cared, regardless of what I have done. It's time to give her a chance, just a shot at my heart. Twilight needs her space anyways. But she was crying, alone on the other side of the room. She was breaking down, and I wasn't comforting her.
"Lyra..."
"Yeah?"
"I think I love you..."
"I know I love you." I blushed. She just said she loved me, and she accepted it.
"Lyra..."
"Yes?"
"I'm having a problem, but I don't know how to fix it."
"What's the problem?"
"I've got this... Sinking sensation in my stomach, deep in my chest. It's burning into my mind."
"I think I can help, give me a second." She rolled on top of me. While I think I know why this might have been a good idea, it definitely didn't help. It didn't worsen my situation, but it certainly didn't help.
Of course I played along, giving Lyra what she wants. I wrapped my arms around her, held her close. She has all four limbs on either side of me, two on either side, but I don't mind. It's actually kinda nice, being able to hold her close. But it didn't help my sinking feeling.
"Lyra, you okay?" I asked.
"Ah... Uhm-Uh-I-Y-yeah..." She stuttered out. I giggled, she was nervous, and unable to speak.

***

(Say You'll Haunt Me - Stone Sour? I guess it's the best song to describe Lyra, completely...)

Lyra POV:

I was on top of Garret, and he was holding me. Not Twilight, and not Fluttershy, but me. Today (night? :3) has been the best day of my life, ever. But either way, this isn't how to fix his feeling. All that's left is to work up the courage, and find a chance. It'll fix everything. I know it will.
Garret's broken two hearts, now its time for me to fix his. It's what he needs, somepony like me. He can't have anypony better than I.
"Garret, you feeling alright?" I whispered.
"Y-yes... I'm doing fine."
I lay my head on his neck. Time wasn't right, give it a moment. He'll see, I know the cure-all.
"Garret, I know how to fix your problem..." I whispered, leading his curiosity.
"Uh... H-How?" He nervously stuttered, his voice cracked.
I raised my head and looked him in the eyes. His beautiful eyes were captivating, tugging at my heart and soul. My entire body began shaking, I realized I was just as nervous as Garret. But I seized the serenity in my mind and leaned in. Slowly, but confidently.
I kissed him. He didn't let go, he actually slightly tightened his arms around me. He didn't pull away, he didn't stop, he actually held me tight and kept it. I closed my eyes, rather happily. There was an awkward silence in the train-car, but I wasn't focused on that. My mind settled and my body stopped quivering.
I pulled back slightly, and looked at him.
"Lyra... I-Uh... Y-"
"You feel better now?" I asked.
"Yeah... How'd you know that would fix everything?"
"I didn't."
"But you fixed... But..."
"I just felt like... I wanted to, not because it was to cure you..."
"Lyra... I... Think I love you..."
"You've already said that."
He moved his arms, and set his hands on the base of the back of my neck. He lightly pulled me forward, and again, our lips met. I was completely in bliss, no comparison from anything in my life. This was the single greatest thing to ever happen in my life. Garret and I, there wasn't a better feeling in the world than what I was experiencing now.
My first kiss, and my second both from the best person in the world.

***

Garret POV:

I had pulled her into another kiss, but it was different. With Twilight it was happy. But Lyra had a... Certain warmth to her, like she belonged. Maybe it was because of her, because of confidence. Maybe it was from her lust for me?
I had my arms wrapped around her, keeping her close. But from across the room came a whimper, not a loud one, but noticeable enough. I don't care, I'm happy here. With Twilight, insanity pulls us around in a tidal wave of pain. Lyra keeps safety with happiness.
Without Lyra being my stalker I might even get over my paranoia. Good.
I'm sure that Lyra was ecstatic, and it was apparent. She was smiling, and her eyes were almost closed. Her eyes were calm, passive. I wasn't worried about anything. Sleep came easily, and my body welcomed unconsciousness without a problem.

***

And there's your romance fix for now. Garret left Twilight for Lyra, no harm done to him. But... He's dying on the inside. But Lyra keeps him happy. She's more like him than Twilight could ever be.
I'm happy for Garret, and for Lyra. Love is in the air, and I'm enjoying it lately. I promise that PG-13 is the highest this will go. While of course they can kiss and hug and all that, not once will I... Put such Vulgarity in my story... Even in romance, Garret still has a brain.
Of course I have plans, I know where this is going. However, I'm still open to suggestions. Lyra wasn't part of my original plan, but she took somepony else's place. And Lyra fits better.

Rate/comment/share/follow

Love you all

LT signing off, with a happy heart for Garret.