Chapter 26: Pieces

"But maybe I do care!" Twilight shouted at me.
"But you hurt your friend... Over me... And that proves you'll stop at nothing to get what you want. Regardless of what's happening." I mumbled.
"But Garret... I only did that so you and I would be together, not for myself! I did that for us!"
"And you ruined what we were. We... Don't exist anymore. You cause more pain than I ever could!" I groaned out 'we.'
"Garret... Please forgive me?"
"You're sins aren't what need forgiven! It's what you haven't done... You never truly apologize, and still expect me to be complacent. I'm sorry, but I'm happy now. I can't leave Lyra, she's unconditional."
"But... She's crazy!"
"And so are you."
"B-But... I'm crazy be-"
"Save it. I don't want to hear it. Maybe soon, I can forgive you, but for now I can't... I still love you... But I love Lyra, and... Right now there's bigger problems."
"What could possibly be more important than this?"
"Changelings."
"Of course... I forgot... Uh, could you fill me in on why that's a big deal?" She asked.
"Changelings. Are. Evil. Twilight, what happened to you?"

***

Twilight POV:

Of course he doesn't understand. I'm focused on him, the way his lips move when he talks. The way he accentuates his speech with his eyes. I don't care about a little bug-problem, I'm worried about my romance issues. Garret and Lyra aren't as susceptible to the changelings actually hurting them as I am. I physically feel pain, a sharp burning sensation deep in my chest. Because changelings feed on love, it hurts when nopony loves you. When there isn't any love entering you, they can end up killing you. I don't want to die, and I don't think Garret understands the danger he's really in. He's got a problem, if he loves me still, then he's got a very serious problem. If I die, then he'll most likely end up throwing love away, and getting himself killed.
"Garret... Will you at least listen to the last thing I have to say?"
"Y-Yeah..."
"If you really do love me, then I'm sorry. I truly am. But you don't understand the danger you and I are in. It's a very serious problem, and if it isn't handled properly, we could die before the sun rises again."
"Explain. How does that work?"
"Because, if changelings feed upon someone who doesn't have love coming in, then the one they feed upon could end up really hurt. Or even... Dead... And since I'm not receiving love, I could seriously be in danger."
"And I'm in danger... How?"
"Bec-" I paused. Why couldn't he just trust me?
"Exactly. You aren't talking about me, you're worried about yourself, and you know it."
"No! I'm worried that if... I'm trying to say..." My face reddened, "I still love you, which means they know they can feed upon you, regardless of how you're doing."
"B-But that would mean... Is that the burning I'm feeling? Them feeding?"
"Yes! And I've lived with that constantly since you left! And... It kills me to say it, but I don't just love you, I need you! Mentally, emotionally, and now physically!" I paused, "If you don't understand, it's okay... But just know that no matter what, I do still love you."

***

Lyra POV:

"Agh!" I shouted, my chest was exploding, burning madly. It was on fire, it was in a torrent of pain. It felt as if my chest were about to explode, and come straight out of my body.
"What's happening?" I shouted into the darkness of the room. Maybe if I could just get outside, get some fresh air...

***

Garret POV:

I left Twilight at the library. My chest began to lightly burn. I looked at my chest, and then at my shirt. Of course, the symbolism that nobody knew. Its the two hearts I've damaged in my time here. Of co-
My chest exploded in a whirlwind of pain. Maybe if I could just get to Lyra, I could just...

***

Lyra POV:

Garret began walking up to me, his eyes wide.
"W-wha... What's wrong?" I asked between the pulses of pain.
"Lyra, I know the problem! I know what it is."
"What... Is it?"
"Changelings are feeding off of me, you and Twilight. Which means that love is what's hurting, and helping us. If we have love flowing through us, we won't be hurt, but if we have it, we're much more susceptible to the changelings."
"Then that means..."
"Yes, that means what you're thinking."
"Do you honestly love me?"
"Y-Yeah, I do."
"But then why does my chest still hurt?"
"Because, there's only a minimal amount. We're just standing next to one-another. If we were... Lets say, laying next to each other, it would lessen. I think..." I trailed off.
"Then this should fix a lot." She slowly walked forward.

***

Pinkie POV:

It's been so dark lately, but my spirits are high! Garret is with Lyra, but so far he's still happy. Dash and Applejack have been happy lately, they're really doing great. Maybe if I could find somepony, I would be happier. But... A stallion just doesn't fit me.
I just don't know, it seems too off-balance to be with a stallion. Doctor Whooves was nice and all, but it just felt out of place. But I know the truth behind him, so it might just be that he's... No, because Garret's found love. Well... Maybe if I talk to... Maybe...
I'm sure that she'd try it, at least for a little while.