15 - hot and heavy

Off to The Races by Lana Del Rey

The car pulls up to a building that looks kind of like Pam's. Except this one is made mostly out of glass.

We parked directly in front of the entrance that looked straight out of a movie. Lights accented our surroundings and I stepped out of the car.

An older man came out to greet us.

"Mr. Napier, good night?" He smiles and Jack shakes his hand with a smile.

"Of course! Any night is good as long as you haven't bit the dust am I right?" He laughs and the man joins in.

"I'll have it parked right away. Good night to you both" he nods and grabs the keys.

We walk through the spinning doors and across the polished floor.

"Have a good night George" Jack says to the security man sitting at the receptionist desk.

He smiles with a nod.

I look around the lobby. Everything looks very sophisticated. Pristine white couches and love seats are ordered around the expanse of the room.

Jack opens a glass door with a gold handle and I walk through towards the elevators.

I press the button and in a second the metal doors open. We both step through and stand still, a good foot in between us as the doors close.

I walk to the back and lean against the cold surface of the wall.

Jack stands with his head down and I tilt my head. He was okay back in the car. I wonder what's troubling him.

I walk up behind him and place a hand on his shoulder. I squeeze and he shakes my hand off of him. I purse my lips and the elevator dings signalling we've arrived to our floor.

We walk out and down the corridor. My heels click against the floor which is the only sound emitting from us.

He stops in front of a door and presses in a number code that I don't catch.

The door opens and I follow behind him.

My mouth drops as I look at the apartment.

To say it was beautiful was an understatement.

The kitchen lied to my left. The counters were made out of black and grey marble rock.

The entire back wall wasn't even there. It was replaced with large pieces of glass from top to bottom. A large balcony lied outside.

Wicker chairs sat all around and the edge was filled with green plants.

The living room itself had black leather seats on top of a white fur rug covering the black floor a bit.

"You don't have a tv?" I ask confused looking around.

"You see those curtains at the side of each wall?" I look at the black fabrics.

"When I close them using a remote control my projector turns on and I get to watch whatever I want on my customized screen" I wish I had that.

"Tell me again, how do you afford all of this" I chuckle and turn around to face him.

"Harvey's family is stacked. They took me in when I was just a kid. Since then they've treated me like they're own so whatever I want I get. Kind of like Harvey" he shrugs and I furrow my eyebrows. I never knew Harvey had known Jack for that long. I always assumed they just met. He never really mentioned Jack before. Odd.