35 - planning

October

"It's the most wonderful time of the year" I sing happily as I twirl around Pam.

"Why? The trees are loosing their beautiful leaves, plants are starting to dry out. Soon enough all of the creatures will go into hibernation. Death is upon us" she says with no emotion once so ever.

"They're going to come back in a few months" i shrug and give her a hopeful smile. I throw an arm around her shoulders but she doesn't return the cheer.

"It's wind season Harley! Our hair is going to be messed up" she whines and I roll my eyes.

"Boo hoo. Who cares? It's autumn! The leaves are gaining colour. Sweater season is here. And best of all, Halloween is only four weeks away!" I gush and jump happily.

"What are you going to dress up as this year?" She mumbles and I can tell the subject of fall is bumming her out.

"The Devil? Maybe a vampire. Although a baby never fails" I think over the options in my mind.

"How about Jack?" At this she turns her head to look at me.

"Haven't really spoken about it" i shrug.

"You?" I ask her as we turn a corner.

"A witch?" She suggests and I look her over.

"Yeah might as well" I shrug and she nods.

"Witch it is" I open the door leading to the stairwell and we walk down the steps.

"What about Harvey?" I ask her and she groans.

"He's not dressing up. He says dressing up for Halloween is 'lame'" with a roll of her eyes we enter the cafeteria.

"But going trick or treating isn't?" I snort.

"Yeah, slight change of plans. We're not going trick or treating" I stop in my tracks and gasp.

"What! What?" I ask her and follow behind as we walk towards an empty table.

"Harv is having a party. All of the seniors are invited" I sit down sideways on the bench of the table. I place a leg on the seat and turn my head to look at her.

"Can't he do it like a day before or after Halloween?" I ask her but she shakes her head.

"Fine then it looks like I'm not going" I pout and shrug. She bursts into laughter before stopping abruptly.

"Oh my god you're serious" she says astounded and I nod. 

"Of course I am. It's my favourite holiday and I'm going to do what it's meant for. Getting candy!" I connect the bottom of my fist to the table surface to accentuate my point.

"Oh cmon Harley. Trick or treating is for kids. Your eighteen for god sakes!" She yells and I roll my eyes.

"So what? I can't be a kid for just one night?" I ask her and she shakes her head.

"You're always a kid. You have the mentality of a five year old. I'm surprised at how well your doing in your classes" she scoffs.

"I will shove your cactus so far up your ass you'll be tasting nothing but needles for an entire week" I threaten her with a squint of my eyes and she chuckles.

"You know what you look like right now? A kid throwing a tantrum" she spits and I growl.

"Woah, ladies ladies whats going on here?" Harvey says and pushes us apart. I didn't even notice that we were both leaning forward over the table until he came.

"Nothing she's just over reacting, as per usual" Pam says with an eyebrow raised and I huff.

"Are you seriously having a party on Halloween?" I ask him and he walks towards my side of the table.

"Harley, look I know you like to trick or treat and I know we've always gone out as kids but it's our senior year. It's time to let go of our childhood and step into maturity" he says compassionately but I shake my head.

"Lets flip for it. Heads we go trick or treating and tails we'll go to the party?" I look up but give neither a shake or nod.

He takes out a coin and flips it in the air.

Swiftly he catches it and places it on the top of his hand.

"Tails" I groan and Pam smiles.

"What are you doing to her? She's frowning" Jack asks and Harvey looks up.

He stands next to me and my eyes raise to see him glaring at him.

I throw my leg over the seat and stand up in front of him.

"What's wrong pumpkin? Why the frown?" He asks in a baby voice and I wrap my arms around his hips.

"They're being party poopers. As a kid me and Harvey would go trick or treating. So would me and Pam but this year they don't wanna" I pout before facing the couple.

"Instead they want to have a party" I spit angrily before facing Jack.

"Don't be sad pooh. I'll make you a deal. We'll go trick or treating first and then to end the night we'll go to their party. How does that sound?" He's bent down to my height and I nod.

"Hey! That's not fair we flipped for it" Harvey whines and I stick out my tongue.

"Now there's no need to be rude sweetcheeks" Jack pats my face and I sigh.

Pam stares in disgust at the action before rolling her eyes.

"Harley have you seen Bruce by any chance?" The name brings an unwanted feeling into me but I shake my head in hopes of her leaving it at that.

"Strange. It's been a good three weeks since I've seen him. Wonder where he's been" she shrugs to herself before standing up.

"I'm going to go get something to eat. Harvey" he follows behind her like any good lap dog.

"Have you seen him?" Jack asks and I shake my head.

"Not since that night" I tell him and he nods.

"For his sake I hope I never see him again" he mutters lowly but I catch it.

"You can't do what I think your going to do" I tell him and he looks at me sharply.

"Why the fuck not?" He says angrily.

"Because your going to get caught the more bodies you leave behind" I scold him and he scoffs.

"I wouldn't have to leave any bodies behind if it weren't for you" he spits and I rest my forearms on the table.

"I said I was sorry" I hang my head before feeling his fingers tip my chin up.

"I know you are but that doesn't erase the fact that you're always the cause of my problems" his words sting like lemon on an open cut.

"I'm sorry" I whisper.

"What's wrong?" Pam asks as she sits back down the a plate of pasta in her hands.

She sticks her fork into the tasty looking mess.

"Nothing" Jack glances at me before repeating it to her.

"Nothing at all"