31 - ace

Volatile Times (Us version) by IAMX

"Jack" I say his name as I look at my surroundings. We're nearing the outskirts of town.

"What?" Not much is visible apart from worn down buildings, waste sites, and fog, so much fog.

"Where are we?" I ask him slightly worried he dragged me out here to kill me.

"Gotham" a large building stands tall. Smoke emits from the top and into the cloudy sky of the city.

"I know that but where in Gotham?" We pull into the parking lot of the large building. In bright green and white lights a sign is placed in front of the large building.

Ace Chemicals

"Outskirts" he answers and we park directly in front of the entrance.

The large letters hang above us and I step out of the car.

"I don't think we're supposed to park here" I tell him and lean against the door of the car.

"Harley I don't really care" he says dismissively and walks in front of me.

"Why are we here?" I ask him softly,

"Why do you ask so many fucking questions?!" He snaps and I shut my mouth.

It's quiet for a few seconds before he stops but doesn't face me.

"Because we need to talk and I come here to get some peace and quiet" I furrow my eyebrows.

He walks to the side of the building where a large fence is surrounding the area.

He pulls back the bottom and waits for me to cross under.

"I don't think we're allowed to be here. The factory is running" I tell him and he scoffs.

"Of course we're not supposed to be here but we are. Anyways, the place we're going to doesn't require employees to be in. It actually warns them about going in" he laughs and leads me to the side of the building.

"That doesn't help" I mumble.

He opens a large steel door and I hurry inside.

A strong bleachy smell fills my nostrils and I scrunch my nose.

"You get used to the smell don't worry" Jack tells me and I nod.

The floor beneath my feet is dirty. It seems to be wet but it's definitely not water I'm stepping in.

We walk down a long corridor, it's walls are pitch black metal.

Every now and then we come across a fenced cylinder that has danger signs posted across it.

Finally we come to a stop in front of a door that has a sign on its corner reading:

WARNING : CHEMICAL VATS AHEAD

"After you" Jack opens the door and I hesitantly enter inside.

The first thing I see are three large and thick cylinders. An almost clear cloud of smoke is seen rising above them. On the front of each cylinder is a sign saying:

EXTREMELY HOT

He laces our fingers together and we walk towards the side. A narrow but long set of stairs greets us and we walk up.

They wobble as we step on them and I can't help but wonder how many times some worker fell because it.

We reach the top and walk onto the steel platform.