26 - persistence

"Harley?" A faint whisper says behind me and I turn my head sideways.

"Yeah?" I say back in the same hushed voice in order to not be noticed by my history teacher.

"Are you okay?" Bruce asks with a hint of worry laced in his tone.

"Yeah why wouldn't I be?" I turn my head fully to face him.

"You've been quiet since class had begun. I figured you were ignoring me since you hadn't even acknowledged my presence" I shake my head and turn back to face the white board.

"Everything's fine, I'm not ignoring you intentionally. I just have a lot on my mind that's all" I shrug but I can still feel his energy.

"Oh ok" he says and I hear him sit back in his seat.

It only takes a minute or two before he's back.

"Is it because of that Jack guy?" Just at the simple mention of his name my heart skips a beat.

"No" I lie. It's been nearly a week and I still can't shake the fear of getting caught.

"You know, I've asked around about him and nothing good ever comes up" I tap my nails against the clean wooden surface of my desk.

"As someone who cares about you I think you should stay away from him" the sound of second-hand clicks annoyingly around the clock and I tap my fingers faster.

"I mean look at the guy. He has neon green hair! His car is a bright purple platinum for Christ sakes! The kid could be anything but normal" I clutch my fist so tightly I manage to break my led pencil.

I turn around so quickly I'm surprised I didn't get whiplash.

"What gives you the right to judge someone without even knowing them? Huh!" I ask Bruce and he jumps back in surprise not expecting me to act this way.

"Ms. Quinzel do you have something to share with the class?" I hear my teacher ask and I face the front.

"No sir" I answer and he nods.

"Great. Then please do me a favour and stop the talking between you and Mr. Wayne. It's distracting the students who actually want to learn" I clench my jaw and grind my teeth together in anger.

Bruce keeps his trap shut thankfully. Allowing me to get through this period without murdering him.

As I make my way to my locker he manages to catch up to me.

"Harley I'm sorry. I was out of line and I shouldn't have said those things" he rushes out but I keep walking.

"I just want to know your okay, alright? I see the way he treats you and don't think I don't notice the bruises on your neck, your waist and wrists. You're not the best at hiding them" he says in a more hushed voice looking around to see if anyone was listening in.

"He's not here today if that's who your looking for" I tell him and he shakes his head.

"What? No. I wasn't- look, all I'm saying is that no one, much less you, should be treated this badly. If he's hurting you on purpose..Harley you need to speak up. I'll help you get away from him. Just let me help you" I can't take this anymore.

"Bruce I've told you once and I'm not going to repeat myself. I don't need your help! I appreciate it but I'm fine. Our relationship isn't concerning so there's no need for you to jump to conclusions. Please just drop it!" I turn around and tell him exasperated.

"Okay okay. I just want what's best for you" he sounds like my mom.

I roll my eyes and open my locker.

"Hey I'll take you out to eat after school. To make it up to you" I hear him tell me and I shake my head.

"I'm not in the mood to go out right now Bruce" I say and shut my locker once I've grabbed all of my necessities.

"Please? As a peace offering?" He says and I give in after staring at his pleading face.

"Fine" I hold my hands up and he smiles.

"I'll pick you up? Just text me your address" he says and he's out of my sight before I know it.

I have this gnawing feeling in my gut that's telling me that this isn't a good idea. Fuck.