53 - speechless

His face doesn't change but I know for a fact that mine has.

"What are you staring at Harley?" Barbara opens her mouth and I roll my eyes.

"Please Barbara, one day, can I just have one day that I don't hear your annoying voice?" I ask her and she scoffs.

"You know what Harley, sure, this is the last time you'll have to hear from me and you want to know why?" I stare at her waiting for her to tell me.

"Now that I have Jack I have no reason to get in between you, I'm like a new woman" I roll my eyes and scoff.

"Truly, im glad for you–the both of you." I look at Jack and his face is stone cold. "Now if you'll excuse me I have to get my friend Pam before she tears our good friend Harv apart" I give the couple and the rest of the group a tight smile before walking away.

"I really never understood what you saw in her. She isn't that special" I hear Barbara whisper to who I would guess would be Jack.

"Fuck off Barbara, you don't know shit" his footsteps carry his voice as the steel door swings shut. I turn my head over my shoulders to see their figures go up the stairs and out of my vision.

I turn the corner to see Harvey against a locker and Pam on the ground in front of him. She sits cross legged listening as Harvey explains something to her. A lot of hand gestures and movements come from him and all she does is shake her head.

I bite my lip in worry. Should I go over there? I shake my head, no I should just let them talk things out. I take my phone out of my pocket to see that lunch is nearly ending. I unlock it and text Pam quickly telling her that i'd meet up with her at the end of the day seeing as how we have no more classes together.

Once I get into class I take my seat towards the back. My eyes wander around the area, watching as my peers start to fill the room.

Bruce walks in with a bright smile, he notices me and makes a bee-line for the seat next to me.

"Hey Harley" I give him a smile.

"Brucey how have you been?" the last time I saw Bruce was in Barbados. He heard about my break up and decided to visit me in paradise.

"Not too bad Harley, especially now that I've seen how good you look" I laugh and flip my hair.

"What can i say? Hot sand and a bright sun does me some good" He laughs and pinches his bottom lip with his forefinger.

"How you holdin up? Have you seen him yet" He says and turns around in his seat as we watch our teacher walk in.

"Yeah, though it wasn't my intention. Pammy just had a few things to settle with Harvey so I followed for moral support." He nods and takes out a pencil.

"Okay seniors my name is Mrs. Campon and i'll be teaching you Sociology, Anthropology and Psychology this semester–"

"I heard he's got a new girl" Bruce tells me and I nod. "Yeah he picked a good one, Barbara Gordon" I snicker.

"He has good taste I'll give the guy that" I furrow my eyebrows and shake my head. "If you think Barbara is a good enough person than sure, the kids got excellent taste" I say without the intention of sounding petty.

"Bruce Wayne" Mrs. Campon calls him and hands him a text book.

"What's not to like about her? She's got an amazing body, pretty face, good grades, she's captain of the cheerleading team, participates in nearly every sport the school has to offer, not to mention–"

"Alright! I didn't really ask to here her biography" I snap and look at Bruce.

He holds his hands up in surrender "Sorry, didn't mean to pour salt into the wound" immediate I regret snapping at him. In the end it isn't his fault he can't see what a terrible person she really is.

"No i'm sorry for snapping at you, it's just, seeing him with someone new so soon. It hurts you know" I say and Bruce nods. "Yeah no I totally understand don't sweat it"

"Harleen Quinzel" I look up to see Mrs. Campon calling me.

I move from my seat and walk towards her. "Here's your book, don't loose it or you'll owe me a $50 fee" she smiles and I send one back before grabbing my book.

I can feel Bruces eyes staring at the side of my head but I pay no mind and listen to the teacher as she begins her first lesson.

Green lights, green spots, fluorescent green eyes is all I see in the sea of pitch black. They're the ones that shine so brightly it isn't necessary for me to feel afraid of what isn't visible to me.

It's as if i'm standing in the midst of everything and the emerald circles float around me.

I wake up with a gasp to see an odd figure standing the shadows of my room.

My eyebrows furrow but I'm not afraid. I can feel the aura around this figure and it seems almost...familiar.

"Jack" my mouth opens involuntarily and the name just pours out without intention.

I kick off the covers and throw my legs over my mattress. I stand up and balance my weight from one foot to the other.

I take a step and notice at how the figure doesn't move.

My feet carry me all the way to the corner until i'm standing merely a feet or two away from them. I can feel their breath on my lips and a shiver runs down my spine and along my legs.

I dare to stick my hands out and encircle them around their face.

In a split second their mouth is on mine it almost knocks me off of my feet.

They catch me though, he catches me. His hand grips my waist and brings me closer to his body.

"Jack" I whisper breathlessly and my back hits the wall softly but swiftly.

His mouth travels down the length of my throat and I bite my lip in order to keep myself from moaning out loud.

There's this pounding in my ears and I can't tell if it's my heart or his.

"Jack" I need him to say something, it's killing me not to hear him say anything.

He pulls away from me and tucks a blonde strand behind my ear.

"My poor Harls, forever falling for the wrong men" I shake my head. He guides me back to my bed. Waits for me to crawl back inside and covers me with a blanket.

"Hush little baby don't say a word, daddy's gonna buy you a mocking bird, and if that mocking bitch won't sing daddy's gonna buy you a diamond ring.."

And I fall asleep. I fall asleep to the sound of his eerie voice singing me a child's lullaby. And as I wake up the next morning more disoriented that not. I swear to myself that it was all a dream. A figment of my twisted imagination. An imagination fuelled by my sad, pathetic broken heart that can't let go of the boy with a fucked up mind.