41 - harlequin

Control by Halsey

Everything about this moment seems strange.

For starters the door was open. And I don't mean like a small crack, no, it was wide open.

The lights are off which is normal but there's an eery feel to the room. I don't like it.

As I reach the top of the stairs I notice two doors opened just an inch.

It worries me because I've never noticed the second door.

Sure there were always two doors, one for the master and one for the washroom but never a third one.

Your memory seems to be failing.

I shake my head and walk to the one that seems familiar.

I push it open with the tips of my fingers and peer into the dark room.

A white piece of paper catches my eyes on the floor in front.

I crouch down and pick it up.

It resembles a small square, and I unfold it to see it's contents.

W R O N G

It's bolded in a bright cherry colour.

I crumble it up and back out of the room.

The room to my left, the unknown room is still slightly open. Only now, the lights are on.

Like a moth drawn to a flame I walk closer and push it open.

A large mannequin stands in the middle of the room.

A bright white light emerges from above the still figure. Like a spotlight.

My bag drops onto the ground without permission but I make no move to pick it up. Instead I walk further into the room.

The door slams shut behind but I don't turn around. I'm too curious to see what the mannequin is about.

I stop directly in front and reach out a hand. My fingers ghost over the material of her clothes. She wears a latex bodysuit of what I can only guess is black and red.

With a pinch of my fingers it snaps back into place confirming my latex theory.

On her head she wears what looks like to be a simple version of a jester hat. The right side is red while the left is black. It ends in two tails with a small golden ball at each end.

I wiggle it to see that it makes a sound.

I giggle and notice that the hat is actually a bonnet seeing as how it ties her neck area along with her head.

A white collar lies all around the circumference of the bottom of her neck. White triangles with large balls at the end decorate her collar bones.

Her sleeves go according to the colour on their side which is black for the right arm and red for the left.

At the bottom of the right side are four red diamonds accessorized in a way that resembled a bigger one.

"I got the idea from your ankle" a voice to the back of me whispered so close I could feel their breath on my shoulder.

I turn my head to look at Jack but he's quick to reposition me.

"Look over the costume" I nod and do as he says.

The cuffs of the arms are a large white fabric that stretches all around the wrist. To end the arms off are a pair of red and black gloves.

My index finger traces down the middle and stops above her belly button where the colour switches.

The black is now on the left while the red is on its right.

On her thigh the four diamond repeats in black over the red fabric. Her left side is a replica of the right.

The only difference is the fact that it uses opposite colours and the diamonds lie in a different place.

For the arm it lies on the bicep and on the leg it lies at the ankle.

"Do you like it?" His lips ghost over the crook of my neck and I nod.

"I love it" I whisper and I feel him smile against my skin.

"Good" his arms wrap around me and I raise my hand to glide my fingers across his hair.

I gasp when it lands on his nearly bare head.

Quickly I turn around and he lets go of me. My eyebrows furrow as he retreats into the darkness. 

"What-why" I stutter but I receive no response.

"J...come out" I tell him softly but still no response.

Instead of waiting for him to come to me I go to him.

I walk forward only to bump into something.

I kneel down and sit my legs under me.

My eyes have finally focused allowing me to see a little clearer in the dark. He sits with his knees to his chest and his head in his hands.

I hear sobbing and quickly lift his head up.

Yes, tears are flowing down his cheeks but his mouth is wide with a cheery smile contradicting what his eyes are giving me.

"Why are you crying?" I ask him and he chuckles.

"I'm pathetic, can't you see? I've resorted to crying like a little bitch that I am" I shake my head but he continues.

"I couldn't defend myself Harley! I let that prick push me in. I let him gain the upper hand" he roars and I swallow thickly.

"There wasn't anything you could've done to stop him from doing so. He caught you off guard J" I try to convince him but he's just not hearing it.

"I should've known what he was going to do. But I was too busy with feeling betrayed. Betrayed! Who would've thought" he shakes his head and rests his forehead on his knees.

Slowly my anger rises at the mention of my mistake.

"I get it, okay?! You felt betrayed by me so this happened because of me. I get it. I said I was sorry-" he interrupts me.

"Don't you think I know that Harleen I know you're sorry but it doesn't change the fact that those chemicals changed me!"

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"It changed me. I can't feel anything. Sure, I remember how everything is supposed to feel but I don't feel it. My hair is falling out. Who knows? Maybe it burned off completely!" He yells in my face and I hang my head.

I never meant for things to get this bad.

"I'm sorry! I don't know what else to say Jack!" I yell right back and he laughs.

"Of course you don't. I don't either" he shrugs and growls.

"Fine. You can't feel anything. I'll find a way to make you feel everything." I tell him angrily before grabbing the sides of his face and kissing him like my life depended on it.

Because on some level, it did.