37 - glum

Unconsolable by X Ambassadors

I shut the door behind me and look around the room. Not a soul is in sight which would worry me if I had not just spoken to Jack.

"Jack? It's me" I yell into the apartment and it echoes throughout the walls but I receive no response.

I walk further into the large space to see all the lights of the living room off.

The cloudy skies of Gotham are the only thing illuminating inside here.

I make my way towards the stairs and slowly walk up. Listening to the soft creak of the metal beneath my feet.

Finally I reach the top and I push open the door of the master bedroom.

It's nearly pitch black in here. The curtains are slightly drawn, letting in a bit of light from outside.

Jack is currently sitting against his headboard. He throws a purple looking bean bag in the air and catches it mid-flight.

I close the wooden door behind me and walk to his King sized bed.

I lean against one of the metal poles.

"Hey" I whisper and he nods.

"Why is it so dark in here?" I ask him and he shrugs.

"Didn't feel like being in a bright room" he answers silently and I nod.

I pull myself and stand in front of him.

I grip the bars above me and pull on them a little.

"D'you think they're strong enough to hold my weight?" I ask him as I tap my nails against the black metal.

He nods and says, "It's made out of steel".

"Cool" I say before turning around and hosting myself up the pole.

I breathe in deeply and hope that I don't fall and break my neck.

I chuckle at the thought as I get to the top.

The bars are spaced out allowing only four to run across the area.

I place my knee on one of the bars before turning around and lying back.

My head hangs in the empty space seeing as how the other bar lies a good distance away.

I look at Jack upside down and slowly the blood rushes to my head.

He smirks and sits up on his knees. His lips connect with mine and I smile.

He backs away and sits back down but not before pulling on my blonde hair.

I tighten my legs on the bar as I throw my arms back. Two bars are the only thing that's currently holding me up.

"You remind me of a monkey. Dangling from up there like a monkey would from a tree" he laughs and i roll my eyes.

"Do a trick for me monkey" he claps and I smile.

"If I must" I say before gripping the bar I'm currently lying on from below.

Slowly and carefully I unhook a leg from the bar at the end and bring it towards the other.

Once it's on the other side I open both legs wide enough that they hold me up without the need of holding onto the bar with my foot.

My grip on the bar loosens and I stretch my arms out.

"Ta-da!" I say cheerfully and he laughs with a small clap.

"Amazing" he smiles and I blow kisses to the room as if there were an audience.

"I would bow if I could but I can't" I giggle.

"You know, these tricks you have up your sleeve could come in handy in the future" he says matter of factly and I snort.

I pull myself back up the bars and sway a little at the pressure in my head before coming back to reality.

I slip skillfully through the empty space in between the bars and fall back onto the bed.

"For what? If I suddenly decide to run off with the circus?" I laugh and he chuckles.

"No but you would make a great acrobat. I can picture it. 'Harley! The Amazing Acrobat'. Can't you?" He glides his hands in an arch as he describes the sign.

I giggle and nod my head, "You know what? I think I can. It'll be in bright red lights". We laugh for a bit before it dies down.

"Now, pumpkin. You mind telling me why you're here? Because it certainly wasn't to discuss your career choice" the smile on my lips slowly fades away and I play with a small fray in the covers.

"Uhm...you see the cuts you made a while back on my arm and hand?" I glance at him to see him nod.

"Yeah, well, Pam asked me about it yesterday and we got into a heated argument. Anyways one thing led to another and she made me promise to-uhm-t-to-"

"Spit out Harley" he says lowly. I can see the anger slowly building up behind his eyes and I swallow thickly.

"Sh-she made me promise to stay away from you and in return she promised not to call the cops on you" I mutter softly but he catches it.

Swiftly he stands up and punches the wall that the bed lies against.

I gasp and jump a little in surprise.

"She what?!" He yells at me and I can feel my hands shaking.

"She said that if I stayed away f-from you she wouldn't call the police. If i broke my promise she would accuse you of physical and sexual assault" I stutter out and I can hear him growl.

"Why would you agree to that" he's seething by now and I sit up on my haunches.

"Jack you have to understand that the thought of the cops taking you away..it would kill me. Much more if they accused you of doing something you didn't do" I tell him and he walks back to me.

His hands grab my face roughly and he looks me in the eye.

"Just say the word and I'll get rid of her" he says slowly and I shake my head.

"Then what the fuck do you want me to do, huh?! Don't you see that I can't live without you! Not being able to be with you is insane. I could just kill that bitch for threatening you" I shake my head and grab his face in my shaky hands.

"Please don't. She's the only friend I have. We'll find a way around this I promise you. Nothing, and I mean nothing could make me stay away for very long. Trust me" I nod and place a chaste kiss on his lips.

"I hope we do cupcake. I hope we do. Because if she tries to come in between us once again. I'll have her head for decor in the dining room" at that a small unintentional laugh erupts from my throat.

He joins in with a maniacal laugh that brings tears to my eyes.

Oh Pammy, Pammy, Pammy.......you have got another thing coming at ya.