46 - grounded

November

I can hear my phone vibrating against something. It's loud and consistent.

I open my eyes and look around trying to make sense of where I am. Home.

My baby blue curtains being familiarity to me and I yawn. It as if I'm still hungover from the party two days ago. Ugh.

My phone starts up again and I find it in the shelf of my bed.

I grab it to see an unknown number calling. My eyebrows furrow. It's probably a prank call or something.

I toss in between the sheets and close my eyes once again.

In less then a minute my phone starts up once more and I groan.

My hand wanders mindlessly throughout the covers and I find the buzzing device.

I open my eyes, slide my finger across the screen to answer the call.

"Hello" I say sleepily. I let out a small yawn and nearly choke at the voice that flows out of the speaker.

"Hey Harley" Bruce says nervously.

"Hi? Why do you have my number?" I ask him as I sit up in bed. "You gave it to me at Harvey's party.."

I shake my head and close my eyes.

Why can't I remember anything? This whole thing is frustrating me.

"Yeah I don't remember giving it to you" I tell him.

"Oh" he says with a hint of sadness.

"Well this conversation has lasted too long for my liking" I pull the phone away from my ear but stop midway when I hear his panicked voice.

"Wait! Don't go just yet. I have to talk to you" I look up at my ceiling and stay silent.

"I have to explain myself to you." his lack of confidence is evident in his tone.

"No it really isn't necessary-" he interrupts me. "Harley please" I sigh.

"You have two minutes" I say and play with a thread in my comforter.

"I need more time to fully explai-"

"Look Bruce I already don't want to talk to you so you're walking on a thin thin line" he sighs and finally begins to speak.

"It was wrong of me to handle things the way they I did-" I stop him right there because I'm already over this.

"You bet your ass it was wrong of you to handle things like that. You pushed him into a container filled with burning chemicals!" I say angrily into my phone. I try to keep my voice down seeing as how I'd rather my mom not find out about this.

"And I'm apologizing for that but you have to understand-"

"Understand nothing. You could've killed him and you want me to forgive you? You're out your FUCKING mind" I tell him.

"It's not like he's a saint" Bruce seethes and immediately close my mouth.

Bruce is right, he's no saint.

I have nothing else to say because if I do say what's on my mind it wouldn't be fair of me scold Bruce while I'm sleeping with the devil.

"So will you let me explain myself—without interruptions?" I stay silent.

"Thank you. Now I need to apologize for the way I handled things. I shouldn't have pushed Jack in. Honestly, I wasn't in the right state of mind. The only thing that made sense when I saw you guys on the platform was to get him out of the picture and that's what I did.