Story: Thirty

Left, right, left, right, hop.

You stared at the sidewalk, walking softly, and hopping the cracks. Sans hadn't followed you (thank god) and you had some time to calm down.
Of course, that didn't stop the steady flow of negative thoughts.

Manipulative prick.

He's a dick.

No better than...

You stopped walking. No, a lot better.

With a sigh, you turned and started walking back towards your house. You tried replacing those thoughts, but as your house came into view, your breath quickened.

What's he gonna say?

He's mad.

He's gonna ask questions.

He's gonna pressure me for answers.

He's- oh shit he's on the porch.

He was sitting on the small stairs, looking tired, and as you got closer, his head snapped up in surprise.

You stopped, standing in front of him awkwardly, and you didn't even attempt a smile. He stood up and stuffed his hands into his pockets. "... you gonna tell me or no?"

You shook your head, staring at his patchy boots.

"Alright." He said calmly. You glanced up, and he was smiling a little.

"You're not mad?"

"Mmm no. Not really." He sighed. "Just confrizzled."

You smiled a tiny smile, but you still felt like you were five, and your mom was scolding you.
He offered a hug, and you took it. "Thanks Sans."

He nodded. "Mhm."

As he opened the door, he started explaining, "now, about the whole job thing..."

~

Of course he's going. And I'm going to my work-
No-
Yes.

You slowly breathed in, then let the breath out. "Okay. See you in a few months."

He didn't look at you. You looked at you.

"Fucking mirror. Movies are such jackasses." Practicing in a mirror was so not working out for you.

"Sans, I'll see you in- I'll see you later? Talk to you soon? Call me?" If you'd said those to him, you'd sound obsessive, wouldn't you?

"Text me? Um... see you later?" Shit.

Sans was downstairs doing something, and you were up here, talking in a mirror. "Ugh." Stop talking to yourself, you sound crazy.

"Do I sound crazy?"

"A little."

You didn't jump this time. "Sans, you should knock."

"The door was open."

You turned, and he was leaning there casually. "You shouldn't eavesdrop."

You do.

"Yeah, it is rude. But, the good thing is, I didn't."

You planted a hand on your hip. "Shouldn't you be packing or something? You're leaving soon."

"No, I shouldn't. I've been thinking, I can easily find a job within the area. So why would I leave?" He asked smoothly.

You stared at him. "You're not going?"

"Nope."

You smiled a little. "Oh. I'm sorry."

"Also, you obviously didn't want me to leave, and I didn't want to leave you. God knows, I'd die before three months was out." He smirked. "I don't wanna leave."

You let out a soft sigh. "Oh. Thanks."

He nodded, looking more than pleased with himself. "Of course." And he turned and left.

It was so sudden, you pinched yourself to make sure you hadn't been daydreaming.
Nope. Completely awake.

"Wow." You laughed. Then it turned into fits of giggling as you jumped onto your bed and fell back against the pillow. He's staying. Wow, why is this so important? He's just leaving.
.... but he's leaving all the same. Gone.

You were on your feet and out the door before your mind caught up with you. Sans was in the kitchen, on the phone, and you walked up and hugged him from behind.

"Yeah, I can't- Hm?" He glanced over his shoulder. "Oh, hey babe. Hold on- ... I gotta go. No, my mind will not be changed by you asking nicely.... seriously, I'll talk later. See you." He flipped his phone shut, then turned and hugged you back.
"What's all this about?"

"I needed physical reassurance. Thank you. Really, this means a lot to me." You closed your eyes. "Like, you have no idea. This is really nice."

"Well, it may seem like a really nice thing for us, but for other people, it would really just be normal."

Us. He'd said us. Not just important to you, but to him too. You smiled. "I love you."

"Love you more."

You blinked in surprise as you immidiantly said, "love you a billionth more times."

"Well, I love you a.... septillionth?" He sounded unsure.

"I don't think that's a word Sans," you giggled, pulling back.

"Eh, I saw it once on a book that my d-d-uhm, sorry, forgot English for a minute, uh, my friend showed me." He smiled.

You loved how contagious his smiles were. You couldn't help but keep beaming happily as you reached past him and snatched a cup off the counter. "Want some water?" You went to make you self some (whatever tf drink you like).

He shook his head. "I'm not not that- bone dry yet. And you certainly won't be tonight." He winked, and grinned the entire way out of the kitchen.

You watched him go, giggling like crazy and blushing. "Charmer," you mumbled, bringing the cup to your lips. "Real smooth."

His phone buzzed with a call, and you picked it up. "Hey, Sa-!" You stopped at the door to the kitchen, glancing at the name.

Now, where have I heard that? Alphys sounds really familiar... With a shrug, you yelled, "Sans, you gotta call!"

~

"Hold it... hold it... I'm having one of those moments again." Sans looked you up and down.

You blushed a little and paused. "What?"

"You know, one of those moments." He watched you move from the doorway to the Bookshelf you had in the corner.

"No I don't."

"That moment, when you've gotta look twice to make sure it's real. Like that?"

He's staying.
Oh yeah, I know that.

"Heh, of course. Um... could you read something to me?" You turned halfway towards him.

He looked surprised. "Me?"

"Well, who else yah dingus?" You smiled. "Please?"

"Fine."