10• No One Else Seems To Know

Jasmine is pretty cool. She's a little too girly and excited but that's her, I'm happy I ran into her.

"I always see you around school with that new kid with the dreads from Brooklyn." She said.

"Damn! Gave a full description and yeah that's my friend Steez."

"You must have a lot of friends. You wavy as fuck." We walked to the food court.

"Nah. I have..." My voice trailed off and I thought about Raymond. "I have...two. You and Steez."

"What?! I see you talking to more than just one person."

"They're just associates." I scratched my head and really started thinking about if Ray and I are friends.

Meaningless.

"Yeah...just two people."

"Is that a question?" Jasmine raised an eyebrow .

"No."

"Well ok, let's eat some Popeyes. All that walking made me hungry." She grabbed my hand and dragged me to Popeyes.

She ordered the regular chicken tenders and fries and I got the same thing. Jasmine stared at me while we sat down waiting for our food.

"What?" I looked at her.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah! Whatchu mean?"

"I don't know. You just seem a little unhappy. I know we just met and all but I know this isn't you."

"Wow! I'm really an open book! Everyone knows how I'm feeling! What the fuck?"

"Stephanie you're a humanitarian-"

"My sign isn't Aquarius though." I said.

"Shh, you're a people person and you like to help others but people screw you over. You push people away. You're not really happy. When you laugh you're really crying. I know that because I've felt like that since middle school."

I gulped and the food court got quiet. Only whispers and chuckles.

"Am I right or am I right?"

"Yeah. You're right." We got our food and sat back down.

"Don't worry. We'll get through this."

"Mhm, thanks for the therapy session." I bit into one of my chicken tenders.

"I'm just saying. Who hurt you Stephanie?"

"Can we not talk about this Jazz?" I said as nicely as possible.

"Sure. I just think you're interesting." She shrugged.

I shook my head.

Weird ass.

• 7:05 p.m •

"Damn it." I said once we got out of the mall. "Whew. Never mind. I found them." I found my car keys.

"Can you give me a ride please?" Jasmine asked shyly.

"Of course. Just put your address in google maps and we out." I gave her my phone and we got in the car.

She put her address in and we left.

"Thanks for the ride!" She got out and I drove home.