31• My Heart Stops Beating

• 9:36 a.m •

I slipped out of the bed and shuffled to the bathroom. I had bags under my eyes and I looked sick. The sight of myself in the mirror freaked me out and I kept splashing myself with cold water but nothing changed except I looked worse. My heart was beating fast as fuck and I felt like I was going to pass out. Steez stretched making a loud noise and I ran up to him.

"WOAH!" He said. "Chill out. Don't run up on me like that.

"Look at me! I look like trash and shit just had a child."

He giggled and touched my face. His eyes were squinted and I shined some light in his face and then made him look at me again.

"Oh shit. What happened? You didn't look like that last night."

"I don't even remember how I looked last night." I shrugged.

"Not like this!"

He got up and followed me to the bathroom.  "Doesn't look too bad in the light."

"It looks bad all together."

"I mean where you was standing when you first showed me made it look like you was a shadow man or something."

I laughed a little and started rubbing my face while sighing.

"UGHHHHHH! I look ugly!"

"Nah. You just look a little strange but you'll be alright. Just don't touch your face."

"Thanks for the advice Doc." I smiled and hugged him.

"No problem. I'm gonna be out all day so-"

"Noooooo!" I clung onto him and whined while pouting.

"Yesssssss. One of the dudes missing so I gotta fill in for him."

"Where is he?!" I asked

"No one knows. He just up and left. I know the group gon fuck him up if they find him." He clenched his teeth.

"Why?"

"Because we needed him to take someone out for not paying, I guess he just bitched out and ran away. Oh well though. He knew what he was getting himself into when he decided to join." He shrugged and went to get dressed.

• The rest of this chapter is in Steez's POV  •

I met up with my group on the west side and they handed me my Jansport bag.

"You know what you're doing today right?" One of my guys said.

"Of course." I swung my backpack on my shoulders and gave him dap.

"I like you Jamal. You a real one." He said. "You got a girl?"

"Nah. Just me." I lied. Whenever you tell a nigga like him you got a girl, he'd be the one to go behind your back and fuck yo girl and I don't want to put Stephanie in anymore danger.

"Well the great vine told me you got a stripper girlfriend."

I wrinkled my nose. "Nah. Bro that's my sister."

"Yeah? What's her name?" He smiled.

"Her names Jessica."

"Jessica and Jamal." He pulled a blunt out his pocket and lit it up. "You should bring her 'round here sometime. Where is she?"

"Home." I said.

He blew smoke in my face and I fanned it away.

"She by herself?"

"Bro, can I just sell this shit already? I'm tired of you asking me all these questions. What do you want from me?" I said bravely.

"Bring her tomorrow. Bring Stephanie. Your girlfriend."

"Nah. For what nigga?" Who the fuck told him about her?

"Yo. Steez I like you but you being mad disrespectful. When I tell you to do something you do it. Got it?!"

"Stop smoking Isaiah. You can't handle that shit." I walked out of the apartment and walked down the street.