60• Cinnamon Eyes

• Next year •
• June 10, Saturday •

"I can't believe it. We just graduated and we're adults now." I said as I laid on the grass with Steez.

We came back to Virginia in April. It took a lot of courage but I'm here. I really missed my brother and Dad. I have to thank Vinny and Steez for getting us here. We spent about 7 months risking our lives and I don't wanna live like that anymore. The street life ain't for me or Steez but we damn sure know how to live it.

"I know it. Your brother was buggin' when you got on the stage." He laughed and licked his bottom lip and he picked a blade of grass out my hair.

"Right. He crazy."

"You plan on going to college?" He asked.

"Yeah. Maybe NYU, Howard or some art school in Philly." I answered.

"True. My music is starting to take off, but imma still go to school so I know how to produce and stuff...you know."

"Exactly. Hold up." My phone was vibrating on the grass and I picked up.

Dad: Hey Sweety. You alright?

Me: Yeah! I'm good. What's going on?"

Dad: Nothing. Does Courtney want to have dinner with us?

I asked Steez and he said yes.

Me: Yeah! We'll be there tonight.

Dad: Alright bye. Love you.

Me: Love you too.

"Remember your house?"

"Oh shit." He chuckled. "I totally forgot about that. It's in the past though. I ain't worried about it."

"Yeah..."

"I know it still hurts. That we caused that family infinite pain but its already been done. Remember what I said?"

"Yeah... I remember." I sat up and looked around the park. It's a beautiful day. Something Like that.

We made it to my Dad's house and it was mad chill. My Dad really likes Steez and says he can't see me with anybody else but him. He met him a week before prom. 

"You put hot sauce on that shit Issa, you will feel my wrath." Dad whispered to Issa.

Issa sucked his teeth and poured hot sauce on his plate of food.

"IMMA WHOOP YO ASS NIGGA! YOU AIN'T TOO OLD TO GET HIT! YOU REMEMBER THAT LEATHER BELT?"

"Dad noooo." Issa whined.

"Should've thought about that when you were pouring that shit on there."

"Your family wild." Steez said in my ear while laughing.

I shook my head. "I know right." 

We said a prayer and ate.

After dinner we left and went to a boardwalk near our hotel. It was pretty crowded. Not unusual for a Saturday night.

"You know I love you right?" Steez asked, he held my hand while we walked around the lake.

"Of course. I love you."

"How much do you love me?"

"Steezy what is all this about? Why are you asking me questions?"

He took a breath and got on one knee. Some people stared and took their phones out.

"Stephanie Gold...will you make me the happiest man on earth and marry me?"

I'm shocked. I can't find any words. I nodded my head and he slipped the ring on my finger and we kissed. Everyone cheered and he wiped my tears away.

"Stephanie Dewar." I said. "I really like that." 

"You don't have a choice." He joked. "Let's go and plan this wedding."

"You got it." We walked to the car. He kissed me one more time before we got in.