17• Can't I Fake It Again

• 9:56 a.m •

I knew we were close. The signs on the highway told us that we're in New Jersey about to enter New York. I started feeling nervous and home sick.

Is Dad and Issa up? Did they find the note? I didn't hide it, it's right there on the table. Are they freaking out?! What if they call the police? I'm going to be on the news and on posters! But I told them I didn't get kidnapped or anything like that. Oh my god, what if-

"Stephanie!!" Steez said loudly and chuckled. "You good? You were kinda zoning out."

"I know. What is it?"

"Just wanted to ask if you were ok." He bit the inside of his cheek and kind of frowned.

"Sorry. I know. I'm sorry Steez."

He nodded his head and kept his eyes on the road.

"Why are you quiet? You're not gonna tell me about your city?" We entered the Lincoln tunnel.

His face lit up. "You want me to tell you?!"

"Yeah, Mr. Dewar." I smiled and poked him playfully.

"Oh ok well right now we're in the Lincoln tunnel. This will take us to Manhattan. I don't know too much about this place because I usually take the New Jersey turnpike to get into New York."

"Where is that?" I asked.

"Couple minutes from here. The turnpike takes me to West Bronx around Fordham and from Fordham to Brooklyn that's about fifty minutes. But from the tunnel to Brooklyn it's forty minutes."

"Why didn't you go the other way then? Saving ten minutes."

"I like the Bronx. So I just look around and then get home."

"Huh...good to know!"

A/n: Knowledge 😎😊

10:55 a.m •

We finally made it to Brooklyn and I got out and stretched. I made a loud whale noise as I stretched and a couple of people looked at me but I kept doing me.

"Let's get our stuff and take a nap." Steez opened the backseat door and we walked into the apartment building. "My mom's gonna flip."

"Why?"

He pressed the button and the door unlocked making a loud noise and I jump. Steez chuckled and opened the door for me.

"Smells like weed." I wrinkled my nose.

"Welcome to Flatbush." We went up the stairs and he knocked the door.

"This isn't the Brooklyn on the commercials." I frowned. Someone ran down the hall with a pocket knife.

"Oh! Williamsburg! We'll go there later. It's thirty minutes away."

A woman opened the door and her eyes widened.

"JAMAL!" She screamed and let us in.

"Hey ma!" Steez put the stuff down and hugged her. I stood there awkwardly. "How are you!?"

"I'm alive! Who's this?" She walked over to me.

"This is my friend Stephanie." She gave me a hug. It felt awkward but I hugged her back.

"She's beautiful." She took my hand and sat me down. "Can I get you anything? Water, food?"

"Water please." I said politely.

She nudged Steez and squealed while making her way to the kitchen. He sat down next to me.

"Well my mom loves you." He giggled and I smiled.

She came back with a cold bottle of water. "I'm warming some Ackee and salt fish up. Plantains?"

My eyes widened. "Yes please!" I said quickly.

Steez laughed. "Yeah."

She went back to the kitchen and I smiled shyly.