46• Tomorrow Doesn't Always Come

We made it to the restaurant and we ordered. While we were waiting Joey asked me a question.

"Do you really love Jamal?"

"What? That's not even a question! Of course I love him!" I'm offended.

He rolled his eyes and looked away.

"Why'd you asked me that?!"

He shrugged. "No reason."

"There is a reason!" I said. "What is it?!"

"He's just going through a lot. That's all."

"And you think I'm out here trying to play him? I ran all the way up here, been through whatever happened in Philly just to play him?! Yeah! I put myself through hell just to play him and to have a laugh." I said sarcastically. My ears burned and I chewed my lip.

"I didn't mean it like-"

I cut him off. "Then tell me what the fuck you mean!"

"Never mind! Let's just get the food and go."

I nodded my head and waited with a bitch face.

We came back to the apartment and everyone was quiet, sitting in the living room. Joey and I looked at each other then asked what was wrong and why they were sitting like they're in a funeral home.

"What's going on guys?" I asked while sitting down next to Steez. His eyes were red but I knew he wasn't high or anything. He's been crying.

Dessy shoved his phone in my hand and I saw article. I read it and my heart shattered.

18 year old Kirlan Labarrie died in Philadelphia last night at 2 am.

I dropped Dessy's phone and it fell into his lap. I just covered my face and cried. Steez rubbed my back and comforted me. I gulped.

"He promised me he'll meet me here! He was such a good person!!!! What happened?!" I hollered.

"He-he um..." CJ gulped. "Someone shot him in the head."

   I shook my head and cried. Steez held me. Kwon sat there quietly looking out of the window. Cars passed and it was quiet outside. The wind blew and you could hear the trees dancing to the sounds of the city. Kids screamed running to the playground down the street. It's still warm outside.

Dessy continued to read the article but we stopped him and enjoined each other's company.

"I love you guys." Kwon said. "I don't want anything to happen to us. We stick together from now on."

Joey nodded his head.

"You need to eat lil bit." Joey said handing me my food.

I pushed it away. "I'm not hungry anymore."

He's the only one without tears in his eyes. He's clearly hurt but not crying. My stomach growled.

"That's a lie. I know, it hurts but you gotta eat. We'll find out what happened by tomorrow."

"I don't wanna know what happened!" I raised my voice. "I just wanna know who did it!!! I swear to God they always take the good people! I swear! On everything!!!"

Steez hushed me and I laid on him.

"I'm so sorry! I know he meant a lot to you and helped you get to me-"

I cut Steez off. "...He died for me...I think I know what happened."