13• I'm No Good

"Imma need you to stop yelling at me though." I said.

"I'm sorry." He hugged me. "I just want you to be safe. That's all."

Dad called us down and we sat at the table.

"You got mail." My dad said as he handed me three envelopes.

I took it and looked at them. "What is this?"

Issa started smashing his food.

"Bruh slow down! Damn!" I made a stank face. "These are colleges."

Issa smiled. "What?" He said with his mouth full.

"Chapel Hill, Johnson C Smith...all these good schools!" I said excitedly.

"Worrrrrrrd?" A strip of bacon fell out of Issa's mouth. "That's awesome!"

"I'm proud of you." Dad said.

The doorbell rang. My heart stopped and I got up to answer it.

"Hey." Steez said while cheesing.

"Who is it?" Dad asked.

"Nobody! Imma be on the porch." I stepped outside and closed the door.

"Why are you here?" I whisper shouted. "I told you not to come he-"

"Stephanie I wanted to tell you something."

"Not now Steez! You can't be here!"

He looked hurt and scratched his arm. "When can I talk to you?"

"I don't know! Just leave ok?! Leave!!"

"Did I do something? Did I say something? I'm sorry Stephanie, just tell me what it is and I promise I'll fix-"

"Go. Home." I growled.

He nodded his head and turned around. I went back inside and locked the door.

"You good? Who was that?" Issa asked. "Your food getting cold."

"Nothing...it's not important." I sat back down and ate my food quietly.

11:06 p.m •

   I sat on the couch watching cartoons and thought about how I pushed Steez away. Issa sat next to me doing work on his laptop and listening to music. I thought about texting Jamal but it's too soon.
   Jasmine texted me asking if u wanted to go to Five Guys later on but I declined. I feel so bad and don't want to do anything right now. The look on his face is breaking me. He looked...so...hurt, like he just lost someone.

"Why you thinking so much?" My brother made a face at me and took his earbuds out. "You look troubled."

I chuckled nervously. "Whattttt...I'm good! Just thinking about college." I lied.

"I feel you! I'll tell you everything you need to know."

He started talking but I wasn't listening. Everything just faded and all I was thinking about was Steez. All I heard was Steez.

Steez, Jamal, Courtney, Steez, Steez, Jamal.

"But make sure you don't talk to any dusty ass niggas." Issa finished.

"Mhm." I said.