Chapter 2

"Uhm, so...", I try to clear my throat, my fingers clutched together, the knuckles white from the pressure. "Yes, I asked him if he can help you and he gave me the requirements for the surgery and you meet all of them so there shouldn't be any complications.", he signs with a huge smile on his tanned face, little crinkles forming around his brown eyes. "Are you for real?", my heart slams against my chest, a wave of dizziness weighing my body down. "Yes, I wouldn't joke about something like that. But.", he raises his finger, "This surgery has it's risk! That's why I wanted to talk to you alone, I don't want your family to influence your choice of actions, okay?" I nod in understanding, wanting him to continue talking already. The thought of being able to hear again seems almost unreal, like a dream. One you only have once but wish for it to repeat forever. "The surgery is done by both a doctor and a robot that's designed for this kind of size chart. Of course it won't be cheap and you'll have two scars behind your ears but if everything goes as planned you'll be able to hear without any visible hearing aid."

If. If I don't die during the surgery, I'll be able to hear again.

"So how big is the risk?", my throat hurts more than before but Nathan took my water with him when he left. "Well, just as big as every other medical intervention, the fact that a robot is putting in miniature prosthesis makes it a little bit more dangerous. So far there was only one patient that suffered from major internal ear injuries although he did survive it.", he tries to give me a reassuring smile after seeing my shocked expression. "And.", I cough again,"How many times has this surgery been conducted?" Dr Sheppard starts scratching his head, narrowing his eyebrows a little as he signs an answer I didn't want to hear, or see, or read. "Uhm, two-times."

So there was one that made it and another one that got heavily injured?You got to be kidding me. "I'm not forcing you to answer right away, please think about this for a few days, maybe even weeks. You have all the time you need, so don't rush to any decisions, okay?",he tries to touch my shoulder but I back away from his hand, not wanting him to touch me. "Sky, I'm sorry you had to go through these past few years, I know it must have been the worst.", he sighs, not signing anything this time. How dare he say something like that, he has no idea how I felt, how my life turned so bad just from this. I glare at him, my hands clenched to fists, "You don't know anything, now, I want to go home.", I get up from the sticky bed and head out of his office, seeing Nathan across the hallway with a bottle of water and a worried expression. As soon as he sees me there's a faint hint of a smile. "What did the doctor say?", he asks, handing me the bottle after I start coughing again. "I'd rather tell you later, okay?", he nods in understanding, running a hand through my hair. Unintentionally, I stiff under his touch,squinting my eyes shut. I don't know why I'm overreacting like this, he has nothing to do with all my situation. Without another word, I turn around, noticing Dr Sheppard standing with my parents,Alex shoots me a few glances before heading over to us. "He won't tell us anything, what happened in there?", she asks, putting her phone in her jeans pocket and staring up at me with mixed emotions.

"No,everything is good, he just said my inner ear didn't change at all.", I lie, forcing myself to smile but knowing very well that they're not going to buy it. "If you say so.", she exchanges a few looks with Nathan before heading back to my parents who just politely shook hands with Dr Sheppard, all of them waiting for me to join them. "Let's go.", I whisper, heading over to the small group that formed in the middle of the hallway. "Please do think about it and share this information with your loved ones, they may be able to help you, now that you know about it yourself.", he signs,giving me a small smile. His eyes seem deep in thoughts, like he's not actually with us at the moment. I simply nod, leaving all of them just standing there and heading straight for the door.

Suddenly,there is a tight grip around my wrist, pushing my watch deeper into my skin. I turn around reluctantly, just wanting to leave this building. "What is it with you? Did he do something to you?",Nathan looks worried, maybe even a little irritated. "Nothing.",more like he just told me about a way to gain my hearing back. "Don't give me that.", I wonder what his voice sounds like. Is it deep or maybe husky? What if he has a slight accent? "I'll tell you some other time, I just have to sort this out with myself first, okay?",it's like I'm asking him if I can keep this to myself for the time being. "Sure, I don't want to force you to tell me.", he smiles,a slight apologetic glint in his green eyes, a strand of black silky hair falling into his forehead. But what if that surgery doesn't go as planned? What if I'm the first one to die while under anesthesia,if I'm not going to wake up?

I look at Nathan closely, earning a confused head tilt. What if I'm never going to see him again? My parents and Alex reach us, ready to head home. "Everything okay, sweetie?", my mom, tries to touch my cheek but just like with Nathan and Dr Sheppard, I avoid her, turning around to leave for real this time. Neither my boyfriend nor my sister try to talk to me for the rest of the drive home, which is more than fine with me. Before I alarm them, raise falls hopes, I'd rather keep this to myself.

"I'll head home now, okay?", Nathan didn't try to touch me, even when he left he didn't kiss me. I'm not blaming him or anything, it's my own fault. "Yeah, I'll text you later.", I try to smile, hoping it didn't look as forced as it felt. He sighs, leaving with a casual hand wave. Maybe I should talk to Claire about it, that's the least could do after all she did for me during the last few years. "I'll head over to Claire's place.", I whisper, pulling out my phone and typing a message to the person I'm planning on visiting.

Hey, I need to talk to you. It's urgent! Are you home or do you want to meet up somewhere?

I send it, starting to head in the direction of her house, not waiting for her respond or an agreement from my parents. My phone and watch both vibrate at the same time not even two minutes after I wrote her.

Hey baby bro, that doesn't sound good! I'm at home but I can come pick you up if you want. Where are you right now?

My heart starts to pound a little again as I think about telling her,how will she react? What will she say?

I'm on my way to your place, no need to pick me up, I'll be there in a few minuets.

Walking from my house to hers takes maybe a good 10 minuets, a little less even. Both devices vibrate once more, saying that she's looking forward to seeing me again. I try to hurry, speed walking down the street and trying to dodge the hundreds of people that are heading downtown or back home, it depends. Passing by a fast food restaurant,I take a peek through the windows, noticing a gray haired boy with another girl sitting with his face towards me. Mika smiles at something the blonde girl must have said, his eyes slowly swaying of in my direction before widening in surprise. With a wide grin he waves over to me, trying to invite me inside with hand gestures and raised eyebrows. I shake my head, smiling and pointing at my watch,trying to say that I'm already late. Mika nods in understanding before continuing to talk with who ever he's with. I don't turnaround as I leave them behind me. I guess Mika is one of the more social people, he used to want to do something with Nathan and me,for example go to the pool, which we never actually did.

After another four minuets I reach Claire's house, entering from the back as always and heading down to the basement where she would most likely wait for me. I remember the last time I was here, when the power went out with Nathan down there with me. How he held me in his arms and tried to calm me down, not taking advantage of the situation and still sticking with me even after I told him about it. My hands feel a little sweaty as I reach for the door knob, opening the door to reveal a blonde girl smiling at me, a concerned look on her face. Now is the time, the news we both been waiting for for so long. How come I don't feel as excited as I should? Why am I not crying in joy, laughing and jumping in excitement? Why are the thoughts so negative now that there might actually be a chance to change all of this to how it used to be?

---------------------------------------------
Heii whats up you guys? Sooo, another chapter, another torture, I'm sorry if it sucks, I don't really feel like writing these past few days but I kinda think I owe you so much for voting for my other story!