Chapter 39 GRANTED WISH

"Skylar, come here, don't even bother with saying good bye, you'll see them in a few hours anyway, you're not going anywhere.", Park says, waving me over toa wheelchair they basically pulled from underneath the bed. "I know you're scared but pretending like this is the last time you'll see your family and lover isn't the key, okay?", he smiles once I nod with a head feeling like it's filled with cotton.

"Awesome! This is Mike, he'll help me get you to your destination in one piece.", he jokes, pointing at the taller and more muscular guy next to him.

"Hey Skylar, it's nice to meet you. We'll get you all ready for Dr Whitefield to take over and will help you out after waking up but I'm sure Park already told you that.", he smiles, his left eye a way lighter shade of brown than the other. I nod again, still not feeling quite present.

"Please Take your shirt off and put this on instead, don't want to get such a neat shirt get dirty, right?", the Asian nurse holds one of the typical hospital gowns, the white ones with weird green or blue dots on it. I do as I'm told, quite glad they let me sit down because I honestly felt like fainting when Mike clipped the stand to the wheelchair, preparing a needle to it.

"Okay y'all, Skylars off to get his hearing back!", Park cheers before turning around and saying something to them without me being able to read his lips. They All nod in unison before glancing back at me.

"Laterz hot stuff!", Claire makes me high five her and I can't help but smile. "Yeah.",I croak, flinching as something stings on my opposite arm and staring at the needle now taped to my vein with the clear liquid starting to enter my shaking body. This is really happening!

"I'll make sure to get you something to eat for later, I'll even wait for you to join me.", Alex jokes and whacks my left shoulder softly. The others said stuff similar to that but nobody even mentioned the word "goodbye", it was not said once and Nathan didn't kiss me, instead he promised to give me one later. They're taking Parks advice very seriously, not even a last "I love you" from any of them was uttered.

Mike is pushing the wheelchair while Park made sure the tube from the IV didn't get stuck in the wheel. I'm starting to feel number than usually, my eyes getting increasingly heavy and harder to keep open and I'm not sure if I even made it to the operating theater or not but the last thought that rushed through my numb and distant brain was Nathan's smiling face when he signed "I love you" for the very first time.

Hands.

They're touching me.

Hands I don't know.

Hands I don't want touching me.

But I can't do anything, there is just darkness and hands. So many. I can't count them, can't tell the places apart that they have already dirtied.

I can't move.

I can't see.

I can't hear.

I'm useless, I can't do anything.

I'm useless.

There are no tears, no shouts, nothing. I have accepted and I have... accepted?

No...

But there are hands that I have accepted.

Yes.

"Nathan!", I call out into the darkness, but there is no response, of course there is no response, I'm deaf, what do I expect.