Chapter 44

Hearing the engine work underneath me is actually quite odd, since I'm used to only feeling some slight vibration. The tall and massive truck slowly creeps over through streets and towards our neighborhood which is located a bit outside of town. I look down at our hands, fingers locked and resting on his lap, we've never held hands while driving before but it's actually really soothing. Nathan turns his head to smile at me, his hair falling into his forehead in a messy way.

"Are you okay?", he asks, his thumb continuing it's circular motion on the back of my hand.

"Yeah, of course. How couldn't I be?", this time I chuckle, cringing at the croakiness of my voice. Gosh, this is so weird! But as we get closer to home, I'm starting to get a tiny bit anxious, not only because of the people waiting there but also their reaction to what my mom kindly dropped yesterday before Claire managed to shoo her out of the room. I don't want them to come ask questions, it was hard enough to talk to my therapist about it.

The truck rolls onto Nathan's driveway, coming to a halt next to the silver car already parked there. He shuts the engine of, pulling the keys out of the ignition but instead of getting out, he glances at me.

"Mind if we go say hey to my mom real quick? She's dying to see how you're doing.", he laughs quietly, sending shivers down my spine and a wide grin onto my lips. His laughter is quite cute, even if it's softer than his normal one.

"Sure, I'd love to hear her voice.", reluctantly letting go of his warm hand, we both unbuckle and get out of the car and into the pressing heat. Nathan grabs his bag, shouldering it and leading the way to the front door but before he had the chance to take out his keys and unlock it, it was already opened by a widely smiling woman.

"Skylar! How are you feeling? How did the surgery go?", her voice is calm maybe a bit loud and high but not uncomfortable.

"Hey. I'm good. Everything went well.", I return her smile, shifting my weight from foot to foot, it's so odd to hear, I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that I'm able to do so again.

"That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you!", without a warning, she pulls me into a gentle hug, rubbing over my back in small circles.

"Then I won't be holding you up any longer, I'm guessing your family is already waiting for you.", she holds both of my shoulders even after having broken the embrace.

"Sky, I want to go change real quick but you can head over if you want to.", my boyfriend suggests, tugging at his plain gray tshirt.

"No, I'll come with you.", I nod at my own statement, following him up the stairs and to his room where I let myself flop onto his mattress. I watch him closely as he opens his closet and pulls the shirt over his head with his back turned towards me. I've always been quite mesmerized by his strong and muscular back, every twist or slight movement clearly visible underneath his skin, intriguing me to trace over every single muscle and feel how it'll react.

He turns around catching me in mid-stare and causing me to blush madly and quickly lowering my gaze to the blanket beneath me. Out of the corner of my eye I can see him stalk over to me with a diabolical smirk as he lowers himself onto the mattress as well and pushing me onto my back and straddling my lap. The bruise seems less... colorful and also not as swollen as it did a few days ago.

"Do you think we have a few minutes?", he asks after lifting my chin to meet his bewildering green eyes.

"Uhm... I mean, why not... right?", I ask, unsure of it myself.

"Right.", he whispers next to my ear, carefully nibbling on it's lobe and causing me to jerk away from him for a split second. Wrapping my arms around his broad frame, I let the tips of my fingers slide over his back, making sure to get every nook and cranny like his shoulder blades, his spine and the small bumps of flexed muscles.