Chapter 15

Liza got home soon after, inviting me to stay for dinner and maybe to sleepover. His mother is so much more okay with this topic, maybe because her son is older than me and my sister or maybe because he already has experience with relationship. I texted my parents, telling them I won't be there for dinner nor for breakfast the next day, asking if it's okay. Of course, it was but I can already see the look on her face, the "Oh no, what if my innocent son will loose his virginity"-look. Don't worry mom, not today, I grin to myself, earning a weird look from both Liza and Nathan as we sit down to start eating.

His mother is really good at cooking which makes me wonder why he's so bad at it. "Is your mother okay with you staying here?", Liza asks, as I lift my gaze from my plate to look at the other two. "Yes, that's no problem.", I smile,nodding politely. "Great, it's always nice to have you over.",she blinks, that kind of friendly, reassuring blink and also the kind that looks stupid whenever I do it. I envy people that use that in a daily matter and don't look like idiots who can't blink normally."Thank you for having me.", I switch between the two faces framed by silky black hair. "Do you want to watch a movie?", Nathan asks, winking as he puts a fork full of food into his mouth. "As long as it's not a scary one.", I laugh, continuing to eat my food, which was really good.

I helped his mother with the dishes while Nathan set up the living room with snacks, drinks and a few movies that I might like. We head over there as soon as we're done,watching Nathan bent down towards the DVD player. Suddenly he violently jerks upwards and turns to his mom with a mixture of shock and amusement. "Mom!", he laughs before turning his attention back to what he was doing. "What did you say?", I ask, tilting my head as I look at Liza. "I screamed 'Nice Ass'", she giggles, satisfaction written all over her face. I can't help but laugh as well, these two are great, they have the perfect mother-son-relationship. It's not like the own with my mom but it's different and perfect in it's own way.

We settled for a nice comedy with a little bit of action, so nothing scary and bloody, fitting for me. His mother was sitting at the exact same spot at the other end of the couch, Nathan and I cuddled up to each other at the thick part of it.

All three of us went to bed after watching another one, Liza giving her son a death squeeze and wet smooch right on the forehead. "Behave you guys.", she warns after hugging me as well, not as tight of course. "Maybe.", Nathan winks while watching me closely, waiting for a reaction. "Don't worry Liza, I'll make sure he behaves.", I smile reassuringly,nodding lightly. "I guess I could try.", he shrugs with a smile before pecking my lips and leading me to his room. He takes off his shirt, slipping underneath the blanket with me and only now I notice what has been missing all these days. "Where are your dog tags?", I ask, tracing over his chest where the necklace would usually hang."I let my mom borrow it, last week was the seven year memorial of my dads death. I give her the tags for the week each year.", he smiles weakly, brushing a hand through my hair.

"I'm so sorry! Was it perhaps on Friday?", I ask, remembering how different he was that day. "How did you know?", his eyes widen a little. "You were different and I kept wondering why but I guess it makes sense now.", I smile gently, nuzzling into the crook of his neck, ready to go to sleep now. The body against mine shifts and the last source of light disappears, coming back to it's original position. I didn't fall asleep immediately, the whole thing with his father got me thinking about all the times I had the chance to talk to mine while he couldn't or could only talk to his asshole step dad.

The next morning came faster than expected, in the end, too many thoughts started to flood my mind and of course the surgery was one of them and it caught me thinking, why not just risk it? It can't get worse than not hearing.

I open my eyes, noticing an awake Nathan staring at me with a wide smile. "Did you take pictures?";I ask grinning. "Of course.", he sticks out his tongue at me. "I will do the surgery.", I state, trying to add strength to my voice."Really? Are you sure?", he can't help but break into a smile again, pressing moist kisses onto my forehead and nose. "You're so brave. I'm proud of you.", my cheeks flush at his compliment, I haven't thought about it that way. "Th-Thank you.", I sit up straight so does he. "Do you want to come over when I tell my family?", I ask, receiving an immediate nod.

So we get ready, Liza has already bought me a toothbrush for when I decide to randomly drop by and have the urge to keep up with my mouth hygiene. Nathan is standing behind me, yawning with his toothbrush in his mouth, the light blue foam on his lips as I watch him through the mirror. He smiles tiredly,rubbing away the little tears that formed in the corner of his eyes and continuing to move the brush around his mouth. We both finish,spitting and rinsing out what's left of the foam and splashing water into our faces, a last attempt to feel at least a little refreshed.

"Do you want to head over now, or wait until after breakfast, I'm sure my mom can makes us something?", he asks, taking my hand in his, feeling the coolness of it against my skin. "Let's go now, before I change my mind.",nervous laughter follows my statement and is answered by a light squeeze of my hand. No matter how many times he does that, it still calms me down, grounds me even. It's like a reminder that he's still here, that he hasn't left yet.

Yet...

I wonder if he'll leave one day, maybe even forget about what we have shared together and find someone new. I mean, isn't that exactly what he's doing right now? Forgetting about his ex and moving on with me. Honestly, I can't even imagine being with someone else.

Nathan kicks me out of my thoughts as his hand lets go of mine disappearing downwards to reach for his shoes. I didn't even realize we are already in the hallway. Copying him, I put my shoes on, steadying myself on the wall before looking back over to him. "Ready?", he holds his hand towards me again,waiting for me to interlace them and lead us over to my house. It's hot outside, maybe even hotter than the past few days and I really can't wait for the fall to cool things down again. Since every house, store and restaurant has an AC it doesn't bother me too much,I'm hardly even out.

The front door is unlocked so we enter without ringing the bell but I at least shout a quick "I'm back"into the silent house. We take out shoes off and head over for the kitchen where two corpses, I mean my parents are sitting over a cup of coffee, both faces seeming older and more wrinkled than ever."Hey, you guys look awful.", I state with a worried expression, sitting down next to them. "Charming as always.", my mother laughs softly, taking a long sip of her drink, sighing as she put the white cup back down on the corner. "We're fine. How was your night?", there it is again! That weird look she always gives me whenever I mention a sleepover at my boyfriends place. I swallow,knowing that we didn't "do" anything but still feel kinda walked in on.

"Peaceful.", I turn to face Nathan who was standing behind me with a small smile, nodding as he acknowledged my statement. "There's actually something I wanted to tell you guys.", I scratch the back of my neck, taking a deep breath and feeling the calming squeeze on my hand. Both my mom and dad watch me closely, a cup in each of their hands. "What is it,sweetie?", my mom tilts her slightly, her features soft and...motherly. She looks exactly how you would imagine a mother.

"For the past few days I kept thinking about that surgery and even though I'm still kinda scared,I'd like to do it.", I raise my eyebrows, smiling lightly as they both stare at me with a mixture of shock, relief and happiness."That's great, I'm happy you made up your mind, son.", he nods,that kind of approving nod. Glad he approves. My mother on the other hand had tears in her eyes, the corner off her mouth couldn't exactly decide if they want to tug up or down, quivering between the two options. "It's been so long. You deserve it, so much! Your father and I want nothing more than for you to be happy and we'll support you with whatever decision you make. So of course, if this is something you want to do and pull through with we'll have your back!", she gets up from her seat at the counter and wrapping her arms around my neck tightly, pulling me closer into her chest and engulfing me into her familiar scent.

"Thank you mom. So much.", I watch my dad get up as well, rubbing a hand over his wife's back and the other one ruffling through my hair. "I'm proud of you.", he smiles, nodding again before turning his attention to the woman still holding onto me, the vibrations of soft sobs against my chest. "Come on, Zoey. Let go of this poor kid.", my dad chuckles, peeling her off of me and putting an arm around her waist. "I'll call the doctor right away and ask for the soonest appointment.", she looks around hectically, probably searching for her phone. My dad turns around, his back facing my boyfriend and I, so I have no idea what he's saying to her but whatever it was, made her stop throwing her head around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know I'm an awful person for making you wait so long for each chapter, I know I suck, I know this chapter sucks but I still hope you'll enjoy it and maybe leave a comment and vote!