Chapter 23

I was ignored throughout most of our lunch, Leslie and Bertha were the only ones to hold up a conversation with me that I could follow without my brain going into overdrive. And I'm so grateful for that. Nathan wasn't himself the entire time, his whole expression was so different, I can't quite explain it myself but it just wasn't him. But it's fine, it's not like he's being fake, he just adjusts to his friends...right?

All four of them left after the delicious meal and to my surprise, I was a little sad that Leslie had to go as well, she's such a nice person and I really grew more and more into liking her in those few hours. Talking to her doesn't stress me out like it would with most strangers, she calms me a lot when I frustrate myself over the fact that Nathan won't even look at me in front of his friends. So, shout-out to you, Leslie.

"Are you okay?", Nathan asks as my attention slips back to his lips after simply staring off into nothingness. "Huh? Yes? I'm fine. And you?", I return the question, smiling and taking his hand in mine. He finally returned to his old self, thank God, as he kisses the tip of my nose with one of his sly smirks. "Although I love my friends, I'm glad it's quiet again.". Yeah, I bet they're pretty loud when they're in full force. "I bet.", I giggle, leaning back on the couch since we're currently sitting in the living room with Dian in the armchair opposite from us. He gives me a few glances every once in a while but I try to ignore them. After all the weird stuff everyone keeps telling and warning me about I really don't know who to trust anymore.

"Do you want to unpack our things?It's smarter to do it now since we'll be getting up quite early tomorrow.", he winks and pulls me to my feet along with him and we both head up the stairs towards the room we're allowed to stay in.We didn't really talk that much while placing our different items of clothing in the big closet, each one of us getting one half. And since that task what completed fairly fast we decided to cuddle for another hour or so. It was weird though, I can't explain it either but it felt different than usually. There is still so much I want to ask him but I don't really dare to say anything. I want him to start the conversation, not force him to talk about something he's not comfortable with.

In the end, we hardly even did anything after that, a little small talk with his grandparents later that evening and I watched as Dian and Nathan played some video games in one of the other upstairs rooms that must function as an entertainment room. It was funny at first but my mind was soon clouded with too many thoughts, the only good thing is that I exchanged phone numbers with Leslie, so at least she could keep me some company throughout the bland evening. And we did decide to go to bed earlier due to the fact that we have to get up in the morning for his Hockey Training.

Nathan woke me up a few minutes ago and left for the bathroom next door. As I turned my phone on, I immediately shot up as I saw the message my mom has already told me she'd be sending. Dr Shepard told us he'd give us more details On Wednesday and guess what day it is.

Good morning, sweetie. I hope you're doing okay. Are you having fun with Nathan and his friends? They're not being mean are they? Anyway, I called Dr Shepard this morning and he told me that his friend is quite busy so he wasn't able to give us any specific details. But he said he'll call me back on Friday and hopefully we'll know more by then. I'm sure we'll figure something out, so don't worry about it, okay? You keep having fun over there. We miss and love you.

I really want to go home now, I drop my phone on the blanket and lay back down, covering my aching eyes with my arm. I mean, it wouldn't have changed anything if Dr Shepard gave us a specific date or not, I'd still have to wait and I'd still be deaf right now. With one last sigh I decide to give Claire a hands-up, keeping her updated with the weird way my brain is functioning right now but to at least lighten up the mood I also told her about Leslie. Maybe she won't feel all too worried if she knows that I have someone to talk to when Nathan takes a time out from being my boyfriend. Okay, that was mean, I shouldn't have said it like that, I mean, he's probably just adjusting. Yeah, that has tobe it!

The door opens and a fully dressed Nathan steps out of the bathroom, signaling for me to get up and get ready as well. The bathroom is really nice, not very big but with a small shower in the far right corner and two sinks with each two mirrors above them. I quickly get ready and try to make my hair look less like the mess it is before stepping back into our bedroom and grabbing the clothes I have already set out the evening before,changing into them and slowly making my way downstairs since Nathan wasn't even in the room anymore. Dian, to my surprise is standing on the back porch, smoking a cigarette while running a hand through his now open almost shoulder long hair. It does look better in a bun, not to be rude or anything.

Bertha has already prepared us a small breakfast and I feel quite bad for making her get up earlier than she probably has to since her husband wasn't there with us. "I hope you slept well, Sky?", she asks, as we sit down, without Dian. "I did thank you.", I smile, trying not to look down as the watch around my wrist vibrates a few times. I don't want to be impolite."So, are you ready for some skating?", Nathan asks, as soon as he catches my attention. "Is no a legitimate answer?", I earn a chuckle and a soft ruffle through my hair before we both start eating. I try to strike up as many conversations with him as possible because I will most likely be ignored again when his friends are around. At least then, Leslie will be able to keep me company and maybe even tell me one or two things about Nathans past, I really want to learn more about him.

The drive was super short and I'm almost certain he would normally walk to the arena. A small group of teenagers are already gathered in front of the gates and I identify most of them as his friends. Only two other guys still seem unfamiliar, one of them tall with messy, dark brown hair and piercing deep blue eyes and one rather short Asian boy. Nathans jaw clenches at the sight of one of them although I'm not sure which one but he takes a tight hold of my hand and almost squeezes it to death. Is he scared? I watch him closely as he shoulders his bag and locks the car, pushing his keys into the side of it before pulling me alongside with him.

My anxiety kicks in and I immediately look for Leslie who caught my worried glance in her direction. She Walks towards us, somewhat stopping Nathan in his tracks who wouldn't even look at her, instead his eyes are focused on someone behind her."Good morning, Sky.", she pushes her bag up her shoulder again while switching between Nathan and I. "Hey.", I return awkwardly,not knowing what else to say. "So, Thanny, I'll take him inside and you please take care of this!", she gives him a warning look, furrowing her brows deeply before taking my free hand and pulling me away from him and into the building. I don't even dare to turnaround and see what he might be doing next so I keep my focus up ahead.

"Thanks.", I mumble, sighing at the worried expression on her face. "No need, I wouldn't have wanted you between those two, they can get a little rough with each other.",she explains, sitting down at one of the many benches in the small hall. The temperature is already significantly colder. "They? Is his ex here?", I ask even though it's obvious. "Yup, the tall,all mean looking guy. That's Dean.", she sighs but rolls her eyes at the same time. "I don't understand why he didn't just stay athome from training for the week Nathan will be here as well. He's so stubborn.", her fist clenches again. "I see, well I'm sure they'll settle things some day, right?", I try to sound as positive as possible.

"You're such a good guy. Makes me wonder if Nathan even deserves you.", she chuckles and punches my arm lightly. "Anyway, I'll show you around until they figure this bullshit out.", she slaps her lap and gets up, pulling me to my feet as well. I sure hope things don't escalate outside.

###########################

I'll be writing a Nathan's pov special about their fight, so look forward to that!