2. Lost and Found

June 25th

Flashback

I sat on the edge of my wooden bed, evening sunlight filtering through the thin curtains, still drawn apart. Just yesterday all the monsters in a town a little ways from here were arrested, and the majority were executed in the center of the town. Even the children. I couldn't bring myself to think about it, the killing, the violence. Soon it would escalate, and when it did... what would I do? I was small and weak, and knew little about fighting or survival. No body could've known that war would strike, so quietly, so suddenly..

'It will be fine' I reassured myself over and over. 'It'll all be over soon' - I knew it was lie, but what else could I do?

"Y/N!" My mother called from downstairs, her melodious voice now shrill and frantic. I glanced towards my bedroom door, unprepared, and left my room, beginning to walk down the short staircase. Only halfway down the stairs was when I heard it.

The first bombing.

The house shook violently like paper in the wind, and dust flew down from the ceiling, cracks splintering down the walls. Sirens wailed, and screams and cries could be heard outside of the shattered windows, as more and more shells hurtled down at the buildings. My eyes widening, I raced down the stairs, lucky to not trip over. Scrambling forwards, I immediately saw my family hugging in the living room, my mother and my sister sobbing whilst my father and brother held them desperately, their eyes glazed over with tears and fear. 

My heart thumped like an ominous drum as a million thoughts danced around, wild fire in my mind. As I reached out to them, it was like the world slowed down, as if on a video tape. I screamed their names, as they spread their hands out to me. Tears sprang from my face as a bomb hurtled at petrifying speed into our home. Just before I could reach them, I was thrown from my stance against a wall, coughing from the dust clouds and choking on the scorching air. 

I saw...red. So much red. My families bodies were strewn across the room like rag dolls, like the blast saw them as nothing. I ran to my mother, my sobs echoing in the room. Her body was hunched over, her dress ripped and red seeping into the colourful cloth. She grasped my hand and smiled weakly, smiling through the pain.

"Mum!!" I gasped, gripping her bloodied hand.

"Y/n... you must, live.. Change..t-this harsh world... Stop...the war..." she whispered hoarsely, her eyes fluttering open and shut.

"Pl-please mum! Don't go! Don't leave me here!! I can't- go- on..without.." I sobbed, my tears cascading down my face and blurring her dusty face before me.

"I'll always..be with.. you Y/n.. don't forget th-that..." she whispered, tears also slipping down her cheeks. She slowly brought her hand to my heart and pointed at it, shaking. "Don't forget..." 

And with those two words, my mother closed her eyes, and breathed her last breath.

"Mum?! Mum!! MUM!!!!" I screamed, the bombs echoing numbly in my ear. It was like the world stopped for a moment, only to return, crashing down, back to the tears, the pain, the suffering. The real world, where happiness was but a fleeting dream.

Her last words echoed painfully in my ears, the bombs an afterthought - 'don't forget'.

Silly mum.

I could never forget you.

Never.

-----------------------------090987--------9990----------------

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

O_O

Hope you guys enjoyed..