3. Worrier

Y/n

----------------9------

A cold breeze rippled through my dirty hair, snapping me back to reality. All at once, I felt the same old tears slip down my face, cutting through the dust on my cheeks. The sad reminder of that day still haunted me even now, 2 years later. Realizing I had stopped walking, I continued to step down the rocky path which was littered with rubble, tightly gripping the photo of my family. This photo... it was all I had left. Of my home, my family, everything I loved, everything I once had and would never have again.

The sun was now enveloped by gathering clouds, trapping the sunset in a glow of orange and red hues. Far off in the distance, more broken towns and ruined homes lay, most probably pillaged by survivors at this point. It was melancholic to see such beautiful towns destroyed by the one thing us humans thought could solve everything- war. Schools, hospitals and community centers lay victim to the onslaught of machinery and hate, and the bricks built upon growth and learning fell to the hand of destruction and death. No one wanted to believe that this was the reality we had to live in, that those stories about the great wars of the past would one day repeat themselves. World Wars were the things we never wanted to experience, history had had enough of them. Step after step, I was thrown into nostalgia and mournful emotion for these places I had never seen once in my life. Overthinking was a tendency of mine that, once I got into it, it was hard to jump out of.

The air grew thicker, and the winds grew harsher, curling and darting through the heavy atmosphere. I clutched my thankfully thick jacket, shivering with my face still wet with tears. My eyes darted around the immediate area: broken buildings and shadowed alleys, nothing less, nothing more. 

Or was there..? 

Without warning, a few scattered pebbles bounced along the hard concrete with a flat sound, and a shadow danced like a ballerina on the ground beneath me. I whipped my head back to the path I had been following for hours upon end, but still, nothing appeared. The chilling feeling of being watched arose in my gut, like there were eyes staring into my soul. I didn't like it. I didn't like it one bit.

Equipping my small knife, I backed into a enclosed alleyway. At least here I wasn't an open target, but there was still possibility for being trapped. I sat at the far wall, sighing, my chest heaving up and down. I hated anxiety. It takes you when you're vulnerable, and causes you to question everything. It sets a deep, deep fear in your mind, until you can't breath. People just think you worry too much, but sadly, it's so much more than that. What happens confirms my cursed over-thinking: friendships fail, problems occur, and all it does is bring you deeper, yet deeper. 

Darker, yet darker..

I placed my black bag next to me and opened it. I brought out a small sleeping bag and lay down for the night, the stars looming above me after the murky clouds had disappeared. I saw four dancing stars, truly brighter than the rest, glimmering and shining, filling the sky with a beautiful light. 

It's the smallest things that sometimes we place our hopes in, or we love the most. Setting down to sleep, I placed my hope in the stars, hoping for a better day tomorrow, hoping that they too, would hope in me, to keep going. To keep fighting for this wretched world, and to never forget.

To never forget my hope.

--------------567665-----------788-----------6-------------------

Did you enjoy this chapter? Hope y'all did! :3