II.

The next day is Wednesday, a workday for Mrs and Mr Holt, meaning that I'm already left alone in this big house with one little girl. Yesterday, I had the time to get to know Amelia, but Mrs Holt told me a lot about her in those letters she sent me. I also volunteered in kindergarten a lot, so I have some experience with the kids. It's easy to fit right in.

Alexander went to school, thankfully. I didn't see him anymore for the rest of the day yesterday. He went out and came back when I was already asleep, apparently. Mr and Mrs Holt explained me everything that I needed to know – when Amelia should sleep, when she has to eat, what she's allergic to (apparently it's lactose and eggs), but she also told me I needn't worry much about the food, because they have Rosanna for that.

Then they went on explaining about the house. They said I can use any room I want, except for their bedroom, of course, and Alexander's room. Oh, and Mrs Holt's office. Amelia can go to certain rooms, like the library, but only under supervision. They had some troubles already, they said, so it's best she doesn't go in there alone.

Mrs Holt also said she'd make sure I'd have a free day here and there. She suggested to ask Alexander to show me around the town, but I quickly shook off that idea. I don't think that would be wise.

"Why did you stop, Gabby?" Amelia asks me, bringing me back from my wandering thoughts. We're currently on the floor in her room, colouring the colouring book.

I told her she can call me Gabby because it's easier for her to say. I also said she doesn't have to call me Miss Gabby, because I'm not that old yet. She liked that.

"I'm sorry, princess. I'll get right back to it," I say, making myself sound excited. Okay, but what is so exciting about colouring a book with a three-year-old? I find I actually quite like it. It's calming.

And Amelia is a very smart kid, I soon found out. And a very good one. Which I'm very thankful for.

We colour the book, play with Barbies and with puzzles until Rosanna, who's responsible for cleaning and cooking, prepares her something to eat before she goes to sleep. She eats by herself with a little help by me occasionally.

When I get her to bed, she wants me to read her a fairytale. She says she wants Cinderella, saying it's her favourite. So, I read her a story with that happy ending that gives little girls hopes of finding a prince and live happily ever after, no one telling them that the reality is a bit crueler than that.

Amelia falls asleep quickly after that and I leave her room quietly, keeping the door a little ajar.

And then I realise I have all this big house to myself because Rosanna already went out. I've already seen pretty much all of it yesterday when Mr and Mrs Holt showed me around. The mansion is pretty spectacular, nothing I've ever seen before, and it's really big with a lot of rooms. I don't know who needs that much space, but I don't question it.