XVII.

I'm walking around the neighbourhood with Amelia in early October. The air has gotten a little chilly already and I have to press my jacket tighter together to warm myself. My hands are cold and I'm trembling. I already fear how I'm going to survive winter since I always struggle with the cold.

Amelia is happily bouncing up and down on the sidewalk, feeling no cold at all.

So much has changed in this past month, but then a lot of things stayed just the same.

Amelia had her fourth birthday on September 18th, and four days later, it was Rosalyn's birthday. We had a celebration, kind of a big one. The whole family came with their own children, so it was pretty lively around the house.

And because the weather wasn't good enough for a picnic, we had to be inside most of the time. The kids played outside and I was actually happy to watch them since I wasn't comfortable with being there when I'm not even a part of this family and no one knew me.

Sam was there, too, and we hung out. Alexander was there, as well, but not for long. It was sad to watch the disappointment on Rosalyn's face when he disappeared through the door not long after the celebration started.

What saddened me the most was that he didn't even wish his mother a happy birthday. And for Amelia, it was like she didn't exist.

I didn't get a chance to say something to him about it, but I'm definitely saving it for when I catch him alone.

I don't feel any fear towards him anymore and I'm not afraid to speak what's on my mind. In fact, I enjoy it when I can challenge him and make him frustrated.

I also went out with Sam a few times, to Islington. I actually started enjoying it, especially when I meet different people there and I'm just getting to know how things stand around here.

It was really cool and Sam is a pretty awesome and single-minded person. What she wants, she gets. There are no obstacles for her.

Other than that, things in the house are still pretty much the same. I noticed that Rosalyn started working more. She works longer hours and I don't know if she has any personal reason for it or she just has that much work.

After Rosalyn's parents came to visit, there was chaos in the house a week after they left. It seemed like they left deep cuts behind. And there's no wonder. From what I heard in those ten minutes I was there with them, I could only imagine what it was like sitting hours with them.

I mean, you can get used to certain things in life, but being spoken to like that ... it hurts every time, no matter how much you try to accommodate.

"Gabby?"

"Hm?" I ask, trying to give Amelia full attention and avoid my thoughts.

"Are you gonna have kids?"