XIII.

On Friday, Rosalyn and Alfred inform me that I can have Saturday and Sunday off. I'm happy about the news until (I don't even know how), Sam comes to visit, telling me she heard I have free and that we should go somewhere.

My immediate response was a definite no. The last time I went somewhere with her, I regretted it more than anything I can remember. Sam is cool, but I doubt she hangs out in the places I would be interested in.

I tell her I'll be very content sleeping at home, thank you very much. But Sam's response is an expression that reads, Did you just say what I think you said?

I silently answer her with my adamant stare. Yes. And I meant every word.

"No," Sam says, shaking her head before I can even finish the thought in my head. "We're going out and we're going to have fun."

My face stays stoic. I'm determined not to let her convince me. "I told you, Sam, I'm not going anywhere. Especially not to a place where Alexander will most likely be at."

Sam throws her head back and groans. "Geez, girl. Just tell him to fuck off if he's bothering you. He speaks English, he'll understand."

"Can't you take someone else? Someone who's more exciting than me and will actually have fun?"

Sam levels me with her deep stare. "What are you talking about? You're exciting and you're going to have fun, I'll make sure of it."

Sam has right, but it's my overthinking mind that bothers me too much to easily agree. I'm a closed-off person and I like being by myself. "I don't know ..." I trail off. "When do you want to go?"

Jesus, I'm fucked up. Which 18-year-old has trouble meeting new people and doing everything to avoid them? Me, apparently. Because I'm pathetic.

"I'll pick you up at 9, okay? Wear something hot." She sends me a wink.

"I don't have anything hot."

"The hottest thing you have, pretty face. Wear it."

•••

"I would call you I was here if I had your number," Sam greets me when I enter her car. I guess a simple hello would be too ordinary to expect from her.

I look at her as I fasten my seatbelt. "Well, if I had a phone, I would probably give it to you."

Sam's already looking at me and judging by her expression, I see I shocked her and made her speechless. She puts one finger in the air. "Hold up. There are two things that bother me in your sentence. What the hell do you mean you don't have a phone?" She pauses. Then, she lifts up the second finger. "And what the hell do you mean you would probably," she raises her eyebrows highly at this part, "give me your number?" she finishes.