XI.

"Gabby! Gabby! Gaaabby!"

My eyes fly open.

My first instinct is to panic, to shoot up and hide somewhere. My first thought is, they're here. They found me. They're here to destroy me further.

But my eyes settle on an angelic little smiling face and I need a few minutes to calm my breathing and heartbeat down.

I look around the room, feeling disoriented and just ... lost. I go through my messy hair with my hands and give a little smile to Amelia, who's currently sitting on top of me, having a huge grin on her face.

I peek out of the window tell me I probably overslept. It's already light outside, too light to be early in the morning since the sun is too high for that. "How did you come in here?" I ask Amelia.

Amelia bonces on top of me, jumping up and down on my stomach, causing me to stop breathing. I still her by putting my hands on her hips. "Through your door, silly."

My body freezes and my hands subconsciously squeeze her little body tighter. Did I forget to lock my door? I was pretty sure that I locked it.

I never forget to lock my door.

Sure, I was tired and even (surprisingly) sleepy, but that couldn't have slipped my mind. Did it?

I try to think about what happened after I came here. It was dark and quiet in the house, so I had to walk on my tiptoes, careful not to make any sound. I'm not sure if I turned the lock in the door when I came in or not.

If I did or didn't, it can't happen again.

"You sleep long!" Amelia complains and puts.

I let out a real, carefree chuckle at her statement. "Sorry, princess. Let me get dressed now and I'll make it up to you. Sounds okay?" I tickle her sides and she lets out a loud squeal, followed by a fit of high-pitched giggles and her doubling over.

"Ga-bby!" she shrieks out in between giggles.

I finally release her and let her catch her breath. "'Kay," she says and climbs down from me and from the bed.

She pads out of the room but leaves the door open. I don't bother closing it either, I just grab my clothes and go into the bathroom and get ready for the day.

I'm out in just a few minutes. When I come down in the kitchen, Rosanna is there, singing to herself. "Good morning," I greet her.

Rosanna jumps up a bit from surprise and puts her hand on her heart. "Oh, Dear!" she says, turning around. "Don't sneak up on me like that again," she warns me, jigging her finger playfully.

I laugh and give her my best innocent look. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Rosanna shakes her head and smiles, too. "Good morning. You're late today."