XXXV.

"There was one night in Islington a few years ago

"There was one night in Islington a few years ago. Things were pretty different back then. Sin and Ryder were good friends if you can imagine that." I have to control myself not to scoff out loud. "Ryder had a thing for me, but I just wasn't into him, you know?" She looks at me.

"So, that night, Ryder got too high or too drunk or both, I don't even know. And he tried to ... force himself onto me." Sam closes her eyes and focuses on steadying her breathing. It seems this is hard for her.

I put my hand on hers, squeezing it. You're not alone in this, I tell her in my mind.

"I was drunk, too," she continues. "My struggling was weak. He took me to the same place he took you tonight. And he just ... went for it." Sam shudders at the thought and my heart starts beating faster in dread.

Sam's been through this, too?

"Sin saved me that night. I don't know how he knew Ryder took me, but if he didn't come when he did, Ryder would ... he would ..." Sam doesn't finish the sentence. She doesn't have to.

I wrap my arms around her, squeezing my eyes shut, giving her my silent comfort. You're not alone in this, Sam.

I want to tell her. I want to tell her that story. But I'm still a coward. I can't let a word out of my mouth.

"I didn't tell you this to feel bad for me, pretty face. I'm over it. I told you because I wanted you to know that what happened tonight will never happen again. And this hurt won't last forever. I promise."

Sam's whisper in my ear makes me clutch her even tighter. You have no idea, Sam. It never passes. It never stops.

I don't dare to say anything, though.

"Want me to stay with you tonight?" Sam offers kindly.

I know that if I said yes, she would stay with me. Without hesitation. And now that I know her story, it feels like I'm connected with her on some deeper level. We both share the same pain. We both got hurt in the same way, from the same thing.

But I shake my head no. I want her to go home and not worry about a pathetic little me. She's done enough for me already. I don't want to ask for more.

When Sam pulls back, I look into her make-up smeared face. She puts her hands on my cheeks and looks me with a deep look. "I'm still me, Gabby. And you're still you. He didn't change you." I roll my lips into my mouth to not let a loud sob out. "You have that fire somewhere inside of you, pretty face. Don't let him extinguish it." She drops a tiny kiss on my forehead. "I'll call Alex in," she says with a knowing smile.

I blush. I don't know why, but just the mention of his name brings completely different memories in my head from tonight. I lower my eyes and nod, biting my lip to keep my smile at bay. My hands start to tremble just knowing I'll get to see his face again.