XXX.

"Well. You're all probably wondering why we invited you for dinner tonight," Alfred starts, looking at all of us with a big smile.

It's about half an hour after I came back from the restroom, after giving myself some pep talk.

I don't even understand why I got that reaction at Alexander's words, I just know that it didn't feel good and I hate it because I don't want to feel like that, especially not because of him. He's the last person I should worry about. And I should know better than to take his words too personal.

I should've gotten used to him by now. But the thing is, I can not get used to him. He's such a mystery, something unknown to me and he surprises me with almost every word he says. I never know what's going to come out of his mouth and that's ... thrilling on some part.

And when I came back from the bathroom, Alexander gave me a long, deep look, staring at my face with a serious face and wondering eyes, probably trying to see if I cried.

Ha. Like you deserve my tears, sucker.

And now, when dinner's coming to an end and Alfred and Rosalyn are about to reveal the reason why we're here tonight, the whole table falls silent in expectations staring at their smiling faces, each of us thinking about different things that could come out of their mouths.

What they say shouldn't really be that surprising, but it still shocks everyone.

"There's going to be one more member joining us in this family." Silence. "I'm pregnant," Rosalyn finishes, giving her husband a warm smile, her cheeks glowing in love. Alfred squeezes her hand in support, a love so deep shines from his eyes that it shakes me to the bones.

There's a long, long silence where no one says anything. It's not my place to say anything, anyway. And when I look at Alexander, he's staring at his parents like he's still processing what they said. It seems like he just can't wrap his mind around what he heard.

"Congratulations!" I'm the first one to break the silence that's getting too uncomfortable to bear at such a happy moment that we should celebrate. Rosalyn gives me a grateful smile.

She looks at Alexander in expectation who just fell mute beside me and became rigidly still.

"I'm going to get a sister!"

God bless Amelia. And God bless everyone's ears at her high-pitched, child scream that probably even people on the streets heard.

People are starting to turn heads, some giving our table smiles, some with curious glances, desperately trying to see who's sitting here.

Alfred chuckles. "Or a brother," he points out.

I jump up when Alexander suddenly stands up and strolls away from the table, towards the exit, with long, angry steps. I watch his back. I even see him grabbing a bottle of something from the tray that the poor waiter is carrying.