XXXVIII.

I'm so comfortable in Alexander's embrace that I could probably fall asleep

I'm so comfortable in Alexander's embrace that I could probably fall asleep. I'm warm and I'm comfortable just resting against his chest. I feel safe and content.

I just sit there and listen to the conversation that's going on, not really bothering to include myself in it. I enjoy what I have and how I feel because I know it's not going to last. I know tomorrow everything will be different than it is now.

It's like I keep hurting myself on purpose. Or at least I keep letting him get to me and hurt me. I already admitted to myself that my feelings for him have changed a lot. I don't know when it happened, I don't even know how it happened. I just know that he's not a person for me and I shouldn't have any hopes and daydreams about us ever happening. It's not possible.

I should've prevented it from happening. I should've stopped it when I still had a chance. But I enjoyed his attention. I cherished it. Even thinking he might've changed, too.

I already know how's this all going to end. I'm going to leave heartbroken and he'll probably not even know since it feels like he's not capable of feeling anything else than hatred.

I should kill this hope inside of me before it kills me.

"Gabby, we're heading home soon. Are you coming with us or are you staying here with Alex and he'll take you home after?" Sam questions me at some point.

Once again, Alexander answers for me. "Take her with you. I've got some plans for later."

I swallow the bile of hurt that formed in my throat. I don't even dare to ask what his plans include. I don't even dare to think about them.

I don't know why I'm so hurt by his words. I should've expected them. Does he even know what's he doing to me? Or he doesn't really care at all. He might be even doing this on purpose because he's a sick bastard like that.

All this overthinking is killing me.

I manage to get out of Alexander's grip and stand up, trying to look unbothered. "Sure, let's go. I was getting tired, anyway," I say cheerfully.

I don't look back at Alexander when we head away from the circle.

"I'm just going to say a quick hi to a few pals before I leave," Sam says, walking towards the circle of people that are gathered around the bonfire.

I don't leave her, so I grab her hand and go with her, just to be sure I don't lose her. I'm still not completely okay being in a crowd of people out in a night and I'm still panicky looking around me if I'll spot Ryder anywhere.

But even if I do, I know I'm safe with Sam and Snake. Even with Alexander being nearby. We make a big circle around just to make sure Sam greets really everyone she needs to. I don't complain because I get a closer look at the bonfire and its magic and it's warmer here.

And when she's finally done throwing her greetings, we finally head towards the car. We have to go past the circle where we've been sitting the whole night and when I look at the spot where Alexander was before, it's empty.