IX.

Alexander's POV

I drag a smoke from the cigarette and lean my head back, exhaling it all out, closing my eyes to enjoy the moment and then open them to watch the smoke mix with the air and disappear into the night air.

I feel this is going to be a sweet night.

My eyes fall on Ryder – or Spider as he likes to call himself these days. A guy I've wanted to race against since the moment I turned around and he stabbed me right in the back. The victory against him will be sweet.

As if he's sensing I'm watching him, he slowly turns his head and stares me right in the eyes from a few metres away. People are standing between us, but I can see his eyes perfectly.

I let my lips stretch into a lazy smile and I nod at him. Then I crush the cigarette against my thigh and smash it completely. Ryder's eyes fall down for a second before he looks at me once more and then turns around.

That's it, fucker. Keep hiding from me. We can play this game for how long he wants, but he knows I'll get my hands on him, and he also knows when I do, he won't live until another sunrise.

No one ever messes with me. Especially not the way he did. And just because I counted him as my friend, doesn't mean he gets the privilege to fuck me over and get away with it.

I'm a cold bastard, I'm not denying it. I don't feel compassion anymore. I don't pity anyone. If you do me wrong, you pay. I don't listen to any excuses and any apologies. I especially hate begging.

Who's the weak one now, asshole?

I remove my eyes from the bastard who still has to pay for what he did. Not only to me, but those closest to me. I'll make him suffer. I'll prolong his journey of suffering, make him feel everything deeply. He's not getting away that easily.

I search the crowd of people that gathered around us, my eyes lazily looking at every person, trying to remember everyone's face, but I don't stop on anyone particular. No one catches enough of my interest to rest my eyes on them for longer than needed.

I spot Sam, my cousin, somewhere in the front and I head towards her to greet her. She's one of the coolest people.

"Sam!" I call out when I'm closer. I walk the distance between us and I greet her with our significant handshake. And when Sam leans forward, my eyes instantly fall on the girl that's doing a poor job of hiding herself behind Sam.

I feel my blood go cold and my jaw tenses up. "What the fuck is she doing here?" I'm staring straight at her as I say this.

This girl ... I feel like there's no place I don't see her. She's everywhere I am. She's bothering the hell out of me for some reason. She just seems ... perfect. Too perfect. A little quiet around people, but she speaks back to me just fine. At first, she seemed like a shy girl that covers into herself anytime someone says something to her. I had fun playing with her.