XLIV.

"Do all your tattoos have a meaning?" I ask Alexander as I'm tracing the circles around his tattoos on his chest

We're in his room and I'm sitting on top of him. He's shirtless, feeding my greedy eyes with his amazing chest and all his glorious tattoos.

Alexander shrugs, looking right at me while I'm trying to look at every single tattoo he has. He's got so many!

"Some of them, yeah. Others I got just because I liked them."

"Hmm ..." I mumble, still tracing his soft skin with my fingers. It's like looking at a map and discovering new places. It's exciting. What's even more exciting is that he lets me do this.

After that kiss outside, I wanted to go back in the house because I really couldn't bear any cold anymore. Even the kiss didn't warm me up. Alexander suggested we go to his room. I was sceptical. I didn't know what his intentions were.

But then he explained he just wanted to be with me some more and we can just talk if I want. And now I'm here.

I think that after what we just told each other outside, something changed between us. I think I trust him a little more now. And I believe him a little more when he says that he likes me. Although it's hard to imagine it. I'm saying; to hell with it. I can at least try as Sam said.

I know I'd probably regret it my whole life if I didn't at least give this a chance. Maybe his feelings did change for me. I don't know. But I know it's different - it even feels different with him.

I go over the tattoo of a Little Mermaid that he has close to his heart. "Little Mermaid?" I ask in amusement and look him in the eyes.

Alexander's good mood vanishes. "It was Zoe's favourite story," he whispers.

My smile completely disappears from my face. "Oh," it's all I can manage to say.

Sam's tattoo instantly comes into my head. She's got one dedicated to her, too. A verse from a Little Mermaid in Arabic on her collarbone. "Sam has one from Little Mermaid, too," I say. I really don't know what else to say. This is all so overwhelming and just plain sad. I don't know how to deal with these emotions inside of me.

Alexander carefully, slowly nods his head, looking at me the whole time.

I go to the next tattoo, circling it with my finger. Espoir. My lips lift up in the corners. "Oh! I know the meaning of this one." I grin. It means hope in French.

But my smile disappears yet again when I see it's crossed over and under it, there are three words written in the same font. Rien n'est éternel.

Nothing lasts forever.

My heart clenches. I feel so much pain. He must've suffered so much. It's clear as a day that his sister meant the world to him.