III.

Amelia actually managed to fall asleep after that, thankfully. I didn't want to get in trouble the first day working here because she wouldn't sleep. But I sang to her – badly, may I say, but she liked it and she fell asleep on me.

Alexander still didn't turn the music down, that selfish prick, and it only irritated me further.

I go finish unpacking my stuff while Alexander's horrific music continues blasting through the house. It soon doesn't bother me anymore and I just decide to ignore it and him altogether.

When I'm done with unpacking, Amelia is up again and Alexander finally turned his music down. The house became quiet then, except for Amelia's laughter ringing through the walls. And her laughter was contagious.

When Mrs Holt came home from work, Amelia and I were on the floor, me having a kid's book in my lap and Amelia guessing the animals she saw on the pictures.

"A pig!" Amelia squeals as I applaud her just as Mrs Holt comes into Amelia's room.

"Hello," she greets us warmly with a big smile.

Amelia immediately shifts her focus on her mum and runs into her outstretched arms. "Mummy!" she exclaims excitedly.

"Hey, baby. Did you have a good day today?" Mrs Holt asks her daughter, stroking her hair in a motherly way.

"Yes," Amelia says. "I play with Gabby."

Mrs Holt turns her eyes on me, sitting on the floor with crossed legs, still having a kid's book in my hands. "That's really nice of her," Mrs Holt says, her eyes never leaving mine.

It seems like she's studying me and it's a bit unnerving. "Are you two hungry yet?" she asks us when she seems content enough of what she saw.

"Is daddy coming to dinner with us?" Amelia asks her mother, looking up at her.

"I'm afraid not, baby. He has to work longer today."

Amelia hangs her head in disappointment. "He works a lot," she comments quietly.

My heart breaks at her words and her sad expression. It's funny how much I came to care about her in only a day spending with her. Mrs Holt wraps an arm around Amelia's small body and puts her closer to her. "I know, sweetheart. But that's his job and he likes doing it."

Amelia is quiet for a second. And then she breaks my heart once again, "He likes the job more than us?"

My eyes widen at that and I quickly look away so Mrs Holt doesn't see my expression. Mrs Holt is silent for a few seconds, probably wondering what to say to her daughter. "Of course not, sweetheart," she decides on saying. "He would never love anything more than his family," Mrs Holt reassures her.

"Let's go eat something. Gabrielle, come," she says and I finally let myself lift my head up, only to find Mrs Holt already walking out of the room, her hand clasped around Amelia's while she's bouncing up and down, telling her mum what she did today.